become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Regional: North America: Canada: Society and Culture: History
Acadians of Cobequid
- A history of the Acadians of the Cobequid Bay area, particularly the parish of St. Peter St. Paul including the Expulsion in 1755.
Africville - The Spirit Lives On
- Information and history of the historical black community that existed in Halifax NS from 1840s to the late 1960s.
Black Loyalist Heritage Society
- Offers information on society background, the proposed Birchtown Black Loyalist Heritage Complex, and a brief history of the Black Loyalists in Nova Scotia.
Catholics of the Diocese of Antigonish, Nova Scotia, and The Great War, 1914-1919
- Features the text and photos from this post-war publication.
Council of Nova Scotia Archives
- An umbrella organization that promotes good archival practises by like institutions throughout the province. Lists member archival institutions by alphabet of category, education, publications, staff and contact information.
Cunard Steamship Society Online
- The primary aim is to bring together those who share a common interest in the rich history and proud tradition of the Cunard Steamship Company.
Friends of Roxbury
- An organization that seeks to preserve Nova Scotia history by erecting signage. Offers a brief history and photos of the ghost town of Roxbury.
Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia
- The trust encourages interest in and preserves historic buildings and sites. Discussion of buildings, public lectures, books, awards, membership and its magazine, The Griffin.
History of Nova Scotia.
- Narrates history of Nova Scotia from 1605 to 1758.
History of the Scots in New Scotland (Nova Scotia)
- A brief history of the settlement of Nova Scotia by the Scots. Includes the Nova Scotia tartan and the actual founding of the province by King James and Sir William Alexander.
Icelandic Memorial Society of Nova Scotia
- Incorporated to educate the public about Nova Scotia's Icelandic past by sharing the history of the Icelandic settlers during the late 1800's. Lists the society, historical events, locales, books, photos and links.
Mi'kmaq Census 1871, 1881, 1891 Nova Scotia
- The census material was taken from the Ph.D thesis, "Change in the Real Property Law of a Cape Breton Island Micmac Band, Volume 2" by Daniel P. Strouthes. Offers name, age, residence, literacy and occupation.
New France: Electric City
- A view of pioneer life through the story of the Stehelin family and the start of a lumber settlement.
Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management
- Acquire and preserves government and private-sector records of provincial significance. Features databases, finding aids and virtual exhibits online.
Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society
- Society details, current news and events, list of lighthouses in Nova Scotia plus detailed information about a selection of them, newsletters, FAQs, notes, sound files, membership information, and contact details.
Nova Scotia War Memorials
- Detailed descriptions and photos of the province's various war monuments and cenotaphs.
Nova Scotia's Electronic Attic
- Online information about the province, especially historical material about transportation and communications. Includes an extensive set of historical links and general internet-related articles.
The People of Western Kings 1785 to 1901
- An alphabetical list of the people who lived in Western Kings County from 1785 to 1901. Compiled by John F. Dugan from census records, cemetery listings and church records.
The Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society
- The society meets to hear and discuss papers about the history of the province. Lists annual journals, membership, schedule of meetings, a link to the Genealogy Network Association, publications for sale and business address.
Royal Proclamation of 1763
- The declaration by the King of England that set the boundaries of lands in North America, including Nova Scotia, for settlement by colonists and set apart that land that was held by the Indian nations.
Some Oral Histories of the Mi'kmaq People
- Personal histories made available by Mi'kmaq elders. Insights into culture, tradition and history by; Kevin Sack, William G. Paul, Cecile Marr, Wilfred Prosper and Daniel J. Stevens. [Annie Claire Googoo]
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 17, 2014 at 6:08:38 UTC -