become an editor
the entire directory
only in British_Columbia/Science_and_Environment
Science and Environment
By Regional District
Anthropology Academic Departments
Community Supported Agriculture
Fossils and Paleontology
Regional: North America: Canada: Science and Environment
Society: Issues: Environment: Conservation and Endangered Species: Regional: North America: Canada: British Columbia
- An advocacy and information site about the dangers posed by fish farms to the wild salmon population in the waters off the coast. Features videos, letters, media coverage donation and membership details.
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC)
- Licensing and regulatory body responsible for the province's more than 24,000 engineers and geoscientists. Includes searchable member directory, member services, events and resources.
BC Lake Stewardship Society
- Non-profit resource network for people and groups interested in lake issues and lake stewardship. Includes background information, newsletter, event calendar, and regional contact information.
British Columbia Agriculture Council
- Addresses cross-commodity issues in agriculture and provides a forum for farmers and ranchers to work together to develop agricultural policies, and advance those policies. It also functions as a watchdog for farmers advising them of emerging local and global developments.
British Columbia Air Quality
- Information on major air quality issues, such as quality control, effects on health, emissions, climate change, quality assessments, laws, and reports.
British Columbia Conservation Foundation
- Offers projects list, events, reports and an image gallery.
British Columbia Geological Survey
- Information about geology, mining, and related research activities around the province.
British Columbia Scientific Cryptozoology Club
- Individuals interested in the investigation of various animals as yet unidentified by science. Includes publications, membership details, links, and animal profiles.
Columbia Basin Trust
- Works with the people of the Canadian Columbia River Basin to bring social, economic and environmental benefits to the region most affected by dam construction under the Columbia River Treaty. Offices in Nakusp, Golden, Cranbrook and Castlegar.
- Electronic atlas project for the plants of British Columbia, covering life forms from vascular plants to algae, and topics from identification to scientific collections.
- Promote conservation-based development as a means to a conservation economy in the coastal temperate rain forests. Information on activities, projects and publications.
Fish Habitat and Enhancement Branch
- Agency responsible for the protection and restoration of fish habitat, Salmonid Enhancement Programs, planning, community involvement, and public education programs. Workshop information included. Headquarters in Vancouver.
Fish Passage Structures on the Fraser River
- Description of the engineering restoration of salmon resources after being devastated by rock slide during railway construction from 1912-1914.
Fraser Basin Council
- Council seeks to advance the basin's environmental sustainability. Offers profile, list of programs, news and resources.
Friends of the Nemaiah Valley
- Society determined to preserve ecologically sensitive natural environments from destructive human activities such as industrial resource extraction, road building and other similar developments.
Geochemical Surveys in British Columbia
- Geochemical databases from the BC Geological Survey, including data from lake sediment, till, and regional geochemical surveys.
Georgia Strait Alliance
- Protect and restore the marine environment of Georgia Strait. Includes newsletter, membership details, and resources on many environmental issues including a green boating guide.
Groundwater in British Columbia
- The British Columbia Ministry of Environment Lands and Parks provides an overview of groundwater resources.
Kamloops Wildlife Park
- Home of the largest captive breeding centre in North America for endangered burrowing owls. Resources for teachers, kids, and volunteers; visitor information; animal photos and information; and park map.
- Administers a 21 million dollar trust fund dedicated to preserving health watersheds and sustainable ecosystems. Offers list of projects that are being funded and information on their mandate activities.
Michael Smith Laboratories
- Offers research projects in molecular genetics, fermentation and bio-process engineering, synthesis and sequencing, protein analysis, cell culture and downstream processing, biomolecular thermodynamics and production of gene knock-outs. Located in Vancouver.
Ministry of Environment: Climate Action Secretariat
- News, detailed environmental reports and related policy documents.
North Island Explorer
- Explores the natural world of north Vancouver Island. Topics include paleontology, marine biology, travel, kayaking, and hiking.
A Numerical Overview of Salmon Run Timings in British Columbia Catch Areas
- Paper by Max Ledbetter and Ray Hilborn, originally printed at the University of British Columbia in 1981. Provides salmon run timing data for sockeye, pinks, coho, chum and chinook.
- An interactive information page for the Marine sciences.
Recycling Council of British Columbia
- Nonprofit organization committed to waste avoidance. Site has information about recycling, household hazardous waste, and the BC materials exchange.
Salmon River Enhancement Society
- Non-profit society aiming to protect and enhance the natural resources of the Salmon River Watershed in Langley. Includes documents, publications, list of activities and directors, events, and contact information.
Society Promoting Environmental Conservation (SPEC)
- B.C.'s oldest environmental interest group. Operates an Environmental Resource Centre, lists local environmental events, and initiates various campaigns for better air, water, and land.
Vancouver Bioinformatics User Group
- An association of researchers, professionals and students who have an interest in the field of bioinformatics. Background, meetings, directions and contact details.
Science and Environment
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 2, 2015 at 16:13:37 UTC -