Esquimalt's name is derived from a First Nations expression "Es-whoy-malth" which means a shoaling place. The municipality was incorporated in 1912 and comprises approximately 1006 hectares (2,485 acres) of land and water. Esquimalt is the home of Canada’s naval presence on the West Coast. The natural harbour was first used by ships of the Royal Navy as early as 1837. The Naval Base was formally authorised on June 29, 1865 and was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy in 1910. Roughly 17,000 people live in Esquimalt and enjoy its many amenities, which include 29 hectares (72 acres) of beautiful parks, scenic waterfront walkways, recreational facilities, a superb golf course, shopping and restaurants.
Related categories 3
Queen of Peace Parish
Contact information, Mass schedule, sacramental policies, bulletins, photographs, and council information.
Township of Esquimalt
Features overview, municipal council, service departments, and parks and recreation information, town history, maps, employment opportunities, links and contact details.
Last update:September 18, 2015 at 22:24:00 UTC