become an editor
the entire directory
only in Parliament/Powell,_Enoch
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Society and Culture: History: Parliament: Powell, Enoch
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Society and Culture: Politics: Parties: Conservative Party
Society: Politics: Nationalism: People
BBC On This Day: Powell slates immigration policy
- News of the Conservative right-winger, Enoch Powell's speech attacking the government's immigration policy on April 20, 1968.
BBC Radio 4: Desert Island Discs - Castaway: Enoch Powell
- Sue Lawley's castaway is politician Enoch Powell.
The Birmingham Speech - 1968
- Press cuttings about and the text of the speech a.k.a. the "Rivers of Blood" speech.
Enoch Powell speaks about Europe
- Audio of a 1976 speech by Powell against Britain joining the European Community.
Enoch Powell: Life and Views
- Complete bibliography of his works and references, and the full text of speeches.
The Guardian: An Enigma of Awkward Passions
- Obituaries by Norman Shrapnel and Mike Phillips.
The Guardian: Enoch Powell dismissed for 'racialist' speech
- Article published two days after the Birmingham speech in the "Leaders and letters" section.
The Guardian: Tory Leaders Still Torn on Race Bill
- Originally published in the Guardian on 23 April 1968, after the dismissal of Mr Enoch Powell from the Shadow Cabinet yesterday.
The Observer: Stop shouting, start talking
- On the demonstrations in support of Powell.
The Papers of Enoch Powell
- Description of the personal and public papers of Enoch Powell, deposited at the Churchill Archives Centre.
Review of Enoch Powell's Island Story
- Milla Schofield responds to Jonathan Rutherford's 'Enoch Powell's Island Story'.
Science Museum, Brought to Life: Enoch Powell
- Entry on Powell with emphasis on his work as Minister of Health.
Speech to Royal Society of St George - 1961
- The text of the speech with illustrations.
Telegraph: Behind Enoch Powell's monstrous image lay a man of exceptional integrity
- A century after his birth, Enoch Powell still seems more modern than most politicians. Article by Peter Oborne. (July 18, 2012)
BBC Radio 4: The New Elizabethans, Enoch Powell
- James Naughtie considers the controversial parliamentarian Enoch Powell. (July 16, 2012)
British Future: Powell: “best understood as part of our history”
- Article by Sunder Katwala, the former general secretary of the Fabian Society. (June 15, 2012)
Telegraph: Rory Stewart plans 'definitive' biography on Enoch Powell
- Rory Stewart, the Tory MP, is researching a book exploring the parallel lives of politicians Enoch Powell and Michael Foot. (July 12, 2011)
Naim Attallah Online: No Longer With Us: Enoch Powell
- Interview with Powell concentrating on his carrier as a scholar and poet. (May 14, 2010)
The Telegraph - Calcutta: After Coronation Street
- Britain has a serious white problem on its hands, argues Swapan Dasgupta. He recalls his meeting with Powell and analyzing the breakdown of traditional community bonds he comes up with an interesting conclusion. (October 30, 2009)
The Caerulean: Bella, horrida bella, Et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine
- Controversial verdict on Enoch Powell's Birmingham speech by UCL student Ben Mechen. [PDF] (September 10, 2009)
BBC News: Powell's 'rivers of blood' legacy
- Examining whether Enoch Powell's Birmingham speech 40 years ago had a lasting impact on race relations, with links to related articles. (April 18, 2008)
BBC Radio 4: 1968 - Myth or Reality?: Rivers of Blood, The Real Source
- Radio programme with an article about the background by the presenter, Rob Shepherd. [Real Audio format] (March 03, 2008)
The Spectator: The real tributaries of Enoch’s ‘rivers of blood’
- Robert Shepherd explores the origins of Powell’s speech: Indian ‘communalism’ and US race riots. (February 27, 2008)
Institute of Race Relations: The beatification of Enoch Powell
- Article in which Jenny Bourne predicts attempts to rehabilitate Enoch Powell's reputation. (November 21, 2007)
Telegraph: When will Tories admit that Enoch was right?
- Just as we thought we had grown up on the issue of immigration, the Conservative Party proves the contrary is true, writes Simon Heffer. (November 07, 2007)
Telegraph: Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech
- The full text of Enoch Powell's so-called 'Rivers of Blood' speech, which was delivered to a Conservative Association meeting in Birmingham on April 20 1968. (November 06, 2007)
The Independent: Enoch Powell made the Rivers of Blood speech out of ambition, not conviction
- Article by Bruce Anderson. (November 05, 2007)
Daily Mail: Widow in Enoch Powell’s Rivers of Blood speech really did exist
- Article putting an end to a forty year old question. (February 02, 2007)
BBC Radio 4 - Document: A Laudable Invasion
- In search of the anonymous old lady referred to in Enoch Powell’s Birmingham Speech. [Real Audio format] (January 22, 2007)
BBC News: Enoch was right on Ireland, says Thatcher
- In a review of Simon Heffer's book on Powell Lady Thatcher insisted that Enoch Powell had been right and she had been wrong when he opposed her signing the Anglo-Irish Agreement in 1985. (November 03, 1998)
Findarticles.com: Elegy for a Contrarian
- A short, but eloquent biography. (June 22, 1998)
Paul Foot: Beyond the Powell
- Obituary by the journalist who wrote one of the first books on Enoch Powell. (March 01, 1998)
BBC News: Politicians say farewell to Enoch Powell
- Politicians have turned out in force to honour the late Conservative and Ulster Unionist MP, Enoch Powell. (February 18, 1998)
Diocesan Press Release: Enoch Powell
- Comments by Bishop Wilfred Wood the Bishop of Croydon on the death of Enoch Powell and his lying-in in Westminster Abbey. (February 16, 1998)
The Economist: Enoch Powell
- John Enoch Powell, political maverick, died on February 8th, aged 85. Obituary, (February 12, 1998)
The New York Times: Enoch Powell, British Rightist, Dies at 85
- Obituary by Eric Pace. (February 09, 1998)
Telegraph: Enoch Powell
- Enoch Powell, who has died aged 85, was one of the most brilliant and controversial figures of British political life in the 20th century. (February 09, 1998)
The Independent: Christ was not crucified, says Enoch Powell
- Jesus was not crucified by the Romans, but stoned for blasphemy by the Jewish authorities, according to a forthcoming book by Enoch Powell, the former Conservative minister. (August 16, 1994)
Paul Foot: Powell’s Poison Platform
- An evaluation of Powell’s attitude to immigration and race from a left-wing point of view. (December 01, 1986)
J. Enoch Powell: Human rights
- Published in the Journal of Medical Ethics. Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version and a PDF file. (January 01, 1977)
Time: Britain's New Household Word
- A look at Powell and Powellism after the 1970 Conservative victory. (June 29, 1970)
Time: The Phenomenon of Powellism
- Article from the weekly American newsmagazine. (January 17, 1969)
J. Enoch Powell: Health and Wealth
- Published in Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine. Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version and a PDF file. (January 01, 1962)
J. Enoch Powell: The Elephant and the Whale
- Published in the British Medical Journey. Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version and a PDF file. (May 27, 1961)
British Medical Journal: Mr. Enoch Powell Minister of Health
- The full text of the article is available as a scanned copy of the original print version in a PDF file. (August 06, 1960)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 27, 2013 at 13:35:05 UTC -