become an editor
the entire directory
only in Science_and_Environment/Wildlife
Science and Environment
Chats and Forums
Conservation and Endangered Species
Government Wildlife and Conservation
Rescues and Shelters
The Wildlife Trusts
Recreation: Outdoors: Wildlife
15 Acres in Kent
- A photographic record of wildlife in the High Weald including birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, butterflies, dragonflies and other insects. The photographs are also designed to help identification.
Atlantic Whale Foundation
- Information on projects that support the preservation of whales, dolphins, and porpoises. Includes details of volunteer opportunities, educational courses, research and scholarships, a photograph gallery, and links to related sites.
- Description of the births, deaths, family life, and setts of badgers. Includes activities, educational material, and legal information.
Barn Owl Centre of Gloucestershire
- Dedicated to the welfare and conservation needs of owls and other birds of prey, whether their origin is wild or captive bred.
Bat Conservation Trust
- Detailed information about the species and habitats, monitoring, legislation and protection, training courses, news and events.
Big Cat Monitors
- Organisation dedicated to proving the existence of wild big cats in the United Kingdom. Contains witness accounts of sightings, photographic evidence of paw prints, and background information and advice about the main species.
Botanical Society of the British Isles
- Founded in 1836, it is the major source of information on the status and distribution of British and Irish flowering plants and ferns.
British Arachnological Society
- Aims to educate the public and promote the study of the Arachnida, especially spiders, pseudoscorpions and harvestmen. Includes information about meetings and courses, a reprint library and a slides library, a spider check list, and recording schemes.
British Bryological Society
- Aims to promote a wider interest in all aspects of byrology, the study of mosses and liverworts, by providing tuition and meetings, and supporting research and conservation. Includes species information and features, details of activities, and links to related sites.
British Dragonfly Society
- Promotes the study and conservation of dragonflies and damselflies and their natural habitats, especially in the United Kingdom. Includes images and an annotated checklist of British and Irish Odonata.
British Marine Life Study Society
- A natural history organisation dedicated to the study of the marine fauna and flora of the shore and seas surrounding the British Isles. Includes articles, newsletter, news bulletin service, and links to related sites.
British Mycological Society
- Aims to promote the study of fungi. Provides news items, details of meetings, educational resources and publications.
British Pteridological Society
- Describes their activities and provides images and information about species and habitats. Includes details of projects and links to related sites.
- Describes native trees and woodlands. Includes a species guide, images and photomicrographs, bibliography, magazine list, and links to related sites and organisations.
British Wild Flowers
- Offers a large selection of photographs to aid in identifiation of wild flowers, grasses, ferns, shrubs and trees.
British Wildlife Centre
- A natural setting where the public can see animals, birds, and reptiles. Includes opening times and prices, list of facilities, interactive map, conservation information and educational resources, and links to related sites.
British Wildlife Helpline
- Information and advice about helping animals and birds in an emergency, and rearing orphaned creatures. Includes homoeopathic treatments for common ailments, a database of rescue centres, and a list of related books.
- A blog about encounters with badgers and other wildlife, and thoughts about badger protection issues.
Buglife: The Invertebrate Conservation Trust
- A charity dedicated to maintaining sustainable populations of insects, spiders and earthworms. Includes information on species and current projects, vacancies, contact details, and links to related sites.
Bumblebee Conservation Trust
- Founded in response to growing concerns about the 'plight of the bumblebee'. Information about the insect, their activities, research, publications and membership.
Cornwall Mammal Group
- Aims to protect the mammals of Cornwall by promoting conservation and recording. Includes information on events, mapping and recording and on becoming a member.
Cwm Elan Estate and Trust
- Elan Valley is an internationally important wildlife site of over 70 square miles, leased to a trust. Includes details of flora and fauna and full events calendar.
Endangered Wildlife Trust
- British charity which owns 800 hectares of tropical rainforest in Costa Rica, the Pacuare Nature Reserve. Includes information on projects here and in Panama to conserve leatherback turtles, and information on volunteering.
English Country Garden
- A catalogue of birds, animals, flowers and trees found in an English Country Garden.
English Oak Trees
- Describes the natural history of the species and of various birds, insects and wild flowers that share its habitat. Includes information about conservation, woodland restoration, and growing trees from acorns.
Find Wild Flowers
- A database powered web application to help identify the native and naturalised flora of Great Britain. The system contains pictures and information on each species, details of how to record interesting plants, and links to regional botanical web sites.
- Illustrated guide to the birds, land mammals, fishes, insects, reptiles, amphibians, fungi, trees, and wild flowers of Britain and Europe. Includes contact information and links to related sites.
Forestry Commission: Wild Woods
- An interactive map to help find interesting locations across Britain. Includes pictures and information about birds, mammals, reptiles, insects, and habitats, and a link to the current online edition of "Forest Life" in PDF format.
The Friends of the Anglesey Red Squirrels
- Describes the status and habitat of the second largest population in Wales. Contains news and events, a sighting recording form, and volunteer opportunities.
Garden Moth Scheme
- A project for people to survey moths as indicators of the health of our cities and countryside; information about the scheme, regional contacts, and how to get involved.
Glow Worm Survey
- Describes the species and gives advice on when and where to look for them. Includes a survey, and lists of walks and reports.
Great British Wildlife
- Provides listings of nature reserves, local groups and events. Includes a wildlife forum, competitions, articles and details of the newsletter and campaigns.
- Describes native trees and wild flowers and explains aspects of propagation, planting, and aftercare. Includes features, a newsletter, and news of events.
Harlequin Ladybird Survey
- Seeking assistance in tracking the harlequin ladybird, Harmonia axyridis in the UK.
The Hawk Conservancy Trust
- A country park in Andover, Hampshire, where birds of prey perform flying demonstrations. Includes information on species, activities, conservation, education, research, membership, sponsorship, and opening times and prices.
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
- Dedicated to study, research and education. Includes species information, news, marine life sightings, online sightings report, opportunities to volunteer, and an international list of links to related sites.
- Liverpool-based charity working nationally, mainly in urban and urban fringe areas, using wildflower mixes to develop and support creative conservation sites. Includes details of the National Wildflower Centre and other projects, training opportunities, links, and publications.
- British branch of LIPU, the BirdLife Partner in Italy.
Mapping a future for ancient trees
- Co-operative attempt to record and survey Britain's old trees, including the fattest, oldest, and most rotten. Interactive map, search by species, Elm Map Project.
Marine Life Information Network
- Information about the biology and sensitivity of marine habitats, communities and species around Britain and Ireland. Includes data access, educational resources, species recording schemes, newsletters, reports, and frequently asked questions.
- Martin Wainwright's photos and commentary about the moths caught in his light trap in Leeds, West Yorkshire.
My Tiny Garden
- Close up photographs of common insects, with a narrative, factual information, and a magnifying glass. Requires Flash player.
National Federation of Badger Groups
- The NFBG promotes the conservation, welfare and protection of badgers, their setts and habitats. It represents and supports 80 local voluntary badger groups throughout Britain, provides expert advice on all badger issues and works closely with the police, and other organisations.
Natural History Pictures
- A picture library of 20,000 images, covering natural history and the environment in Great Britain and Western Europe. Includes a list of lectures topics available, a diary, and links to related web sites.
Nature around Me
- Provides information on UK wildlife, organisations and volunteers looking after it and an online nature store.
Nature in Shetland
- News of the latest sightings and information about marine life, birds, insects and amphibians. Includes articles, photographs, details of educational courses, events and publications, and links to related sites and organisations.
- Coordinates volunteers to study phenology, including monitoring impacts of climate change on wildlife. Phenology is the recording and study of periodic natural events such as the arrival of summer migrants. From the Woodland Trust and the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology.
Naturenet: UK Countryside & Nature Conservation
- Aims to provide a resource for practical nature conservation and management. Includes articles about law, education, careers and training, agencies and organisations, and links to environmental discussion groups.
- Dedicated to the protection of cetaceans, through research, partnership and education. Includes news, a guide to species identification, photographs, a sightings list, and links to related sites.
Paul Mabbott's Insects Page
- Biological recording of Carabidae (ground beetles) and Coccinellidae (ladybirds) in London and Essex
Paul Nielsen's British Flora Gallery
- Gallery and information on British Flora for the resident and tourist.
Pennine Edge Barn Owl Group
- Aiming to increase the numbers of Barn Owls in the Tameside, Oldham and Rochdale areas by building boxes and creating a "corridor" for them to nest in.
- A charity which carries out plant species and habitat conservation, owns and manages nature reserves, campaigns, and raises awareness through education. Includes detailed species information, surveys and sections on nature reserves, important plant areas, and opportunities to volunteer.
Protected Species Ecology
- Independent ecological consultancy based in mid-Wales offering ecological and environmental assessment. Includes badger, bat, dormouse, reptiles and amphibians.
Reptiles and Amphibians of the UK (RAUK)
- Information and discussion about the identification of snakes, lizards, newts, frogs, toads, tadpoles, and spawn. Includes links to related sites and organisations, advice on herpetofauna, and a forum.
The Reservoirs Nature Society (TeRNS)
- News and information about Stoke Newington's nature reserves and conservation areas. Statistics and records of birds, butterflies, flora and other wildlife, with details of local walks and talks.
Rutland Water Nature Reserve
- A Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), winter wildfowl sanctuary, and home to the Osprey Translocation Project. Includes species and habitat information, details of educational programmes, special projects, events and activities, plus opportunities to volunteer.
The Scottish Sealife Sanctuary
- A centre on the shores of Loch Creran, near Oban, providing an aquarium and a rescue and rehabilitation facility for common and grey seal pups. Includes contact details, and information about seals and otters.
Sea Shore Antics
- Provides a glimpse into what some of the UK sea shore inhabitants actually get up to, when undisturbed by humans.
The Shark Trust
- Promotes the study, management and conservation of sharks, skates and rays in the UK and elsewhere. Includes news, photographs, a video, a forum, links to related sites, and the opportunity to adopt a shark.
The Tree Council
- Promotes the planting and conservation of trees and woods. Includes information on the tree warden scheme.
The Tree Register
- Registered charity with database of over 125,000 big, ancient, historical and tall trees in the UK. Some website facilities available to members only.
- An exploration of heathland habitat and why it is important. Contains details of management and survey methods.
- Guide to the moths of Great Britain and Ireland, with photographs of live specimens, common and scientific names, and notes on biology.
- Information about wildlife and the countryside. Contains articles, photographs, a newsletter, a list of rescue hospitals, and links to related web sites.
University of Manchester: British Flowering Plants
- Searchable, illustrated collection.
Wapley Bushes Local Nature Reserve
- A nature reserve in south Gloucestershire run by the Wapley Bushes Conservation Group, a small group of volunteers. Includes a blog covering activities and what can be seen at the reserve.
Wild Boar in Britain
- Information on free living wild boar. Includes field signs, academic and research papers, a forum, locations of breeding populations, and a study of the historical importance of the species.
Wild Flower Page
- Describes the first steps in finding and studying wild flowers. Includes a flower-of-the-month feature and information about conservation, wildlife news items, and links to related sites.
Wild Flower Society
- Society for amateur botanists and wild flower lovers, promoting field botany and conservation of British flora. Information about membership, branches, activities, events and species reports.
Wild Guide UK
- Photographs of grasshoppers, crickets, butterflies and moths, true bugs, and flies, displayed to enable comparison. Includes a description and identification markings for each species.
- Nature awareness and outdoor tracking school in Co. Armagh. Includes photographs and information about weekend and one-day programs.
WildCRU Wildlife Conservation Research Unit
- Oxford University group develops practical solutions to conservation problems through research, implementation, education and local public involvement. Includes support and donation details.
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
- Engendering care and concern for wetlands by focusing on rare wetland birds and bringing people into close contact with ducks, geese, and swans at centres throughout the UK. Includes research information, news and events, and learning resource materials.
- Information about different species of wildlife that inhabit Britain. Includes details about environmental issues, wildlife news and information on UK wildlife focused holidays.
- Factsheets covering various topics including wild flowers and wildlife protection, and species information about badgers, hedgehogs, whales and dolphins, marine life, and British reptiles.
- Describes how to make any garden a haven for wildlife. Includes news and features, project tutorials and a message board.
Wildlife Online UK
- Aims to provide a useful and educational resource, drawing information from textbooks and scientific papers. Contains details of the natural history of several British species, with images, and links to related sites.
Wildlife UK Forums
- A group of forums for people interested in the flora and fauna of the United Kingdom.
- Organisation promoting the re-creation of native British woodland through tree planting schemes on redundant farmland. Includes information on sponsoring a sapling and corporate sponsorship schemes.
Butterflies suffered in cold and wet 2012, says charity
- The BBC reports on the effect of the weather on the UK’s lepidoptera. (March 26, 2013)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 5, 2015 at 1:24:03 UTC -