become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: England: West Yorkshire: Leeds: Society and Culture: History
Local History Groups
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: England: West Yorkshire: Society and Culture: History
Armley Gaol - Leeds
- Opened in 1847. It was a grim and forbidding building in line with the Victorian ideas of prison and was responsible for housing prisoners sentenced in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- A collection of indexes (with annotated references) to sources of information held in the collections of the Leeds Local Studies Library.
The Barnbow Lasses
- An account of Britain’s premier shell factory between 1914 and 1918, their workforce, and the explosion in 1916 (to date the worst tragedy in terms of lives lost in the history of Leeds).
The Battle of Winwaed
- An account of a major battle fought on Penda's Fields or around Whinmoor, in 655 CE; with ramifications for the future development of England.
Hunslet Engine Company
- A short history of the famous rail engine works, provided by Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.
- An history of the movement in the city.
Leeds Civic Trust
- Aims to encourage development and public amenities which take pride in the present and future heritage of Leeds. Useful reports and events listed.
Leeds Local History Wiki
- A community internet history project organised by the Local Studies Library (of Leeds Library and Information Service); includes information about resources, and articles by volunteer contributors.
The Leeds Pals - The 15th (Service) Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment
- An online memorial to one of the First World War "Pals' Battalions". Site aims to provide personal case-histories of named soldiers, photographs, local history and military documents.
- On-line history of Leeds. About 50 accounts and sources collected by an amateur historian.
- Searchable photographic archive for Leeds, which can be restricted by locality, and by decade or year.
Modern History Sourcebook
- The Leeds Woollen Workers Petition, 1786, against the use of machines in their industry.
- Accounts of the Leeds Rent Strikes of 1914 and 1934, and their contribution to the development of the British Tenants' Movement.
- Dedicated to quirky, unusual or mysterious aspects of the built environment of the city past and present. Includes a forum.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, September 27, 2013 7:31:25 AM EDT -