become an editor
the entire directory
only in Transport/Underground
Business: Transportation and Logistics: Urban Transport: Transit Systems: Subways
Recreation: Outdoors: Urban Exploration: Europe
Society: Issues: Terrorism: Incidents: London Bombings, 2005
- The official website of London Underground. Travel information, help with route planning, recruitment pages and general Tube news.
Abandoned Tube Stations
- Histories and photographs of many disused stations and platforms.
Clive's Underground Line Guides
- Includes guides to all of the lines on the network, including histories, depot locations, connections between lines and details of rolling stock.
Cooling London Underground
- Examines the problems faced by engineers in trying to lower the temperature in trains and tunnels, and provides some possible solutions.
Cravens Heritage Trains
- A society dedicated to the preservation of former London Underground trains. Contains details of rolling stock preserved and restored by Cravens and other organisations. Also describes the history and renovation of Epping signal cabin.
District Dave's London Underground Site
- Facts and opinions regarding the Tube from a serving District Line Train Operator. Sections on driver training, train equipment and working experiences. A discussion forum allows visitors to express their views and ask questions.
Fare Evasion and Automatic Ticket collection on the London Underground
- A study into the effectiveness of the Tube's UTS ticket gates in preventing fraudulent travel. [PDF]
- Written by a former Tube commuter who has done the tube challenge - visiting every station on the network in less than a day. Includes links to media coverage of the event, and general tube-related opinions, facts and trivia.
Graphical maps of Tube journey times in London
- Contains maps depicting journey times from every tube station in London
- Discussion forum for employees of London Underground and the Infracos - companies involved in maintaining the infrastructure of the Tube.
Jonathan Hall's Railway Home Page
- The author describes his visits to two disused stations - Aldwych and Down Street - using many photographs to illustrate unique features of each. The latter was used by Winston Churchill and his War Cabinet as a command centre. There is also an image gallery of London Underground rolling stock.
The London Tube Map Archive
- London Underground maps dating from 1908 onward. Both geographically accurate and geoschematic maps are presented, showing the Tube network through the decades. Stations which have since closed or have been renamed can be found on some.
London Underground Railway Society
- Studies London's underground railways, past, present and future, including the Post Office Railway and the Docklands Light Railway. Also features the Croydon Tramlink.
The Metadyne Website
- Detailed articles about several aspects of London Underground operations, including signal cabin details, the evolution of the LT Rule Book, history of the private telephone system and the story of Oxford Circus station - one of the busiest on the network.
The Modern London Underground
- Histories and image galleries of Tube stations, depots and trains.
- The history of London Underground during World War Two, with station-by-station usage and bomb damage descriptions. Another section deals with how the Tube has been portrayed in films and on television.
- An essay about the history and development of one of the major underground railway lines.
The Power Cut in London on 28 August 2003
- A report from the London Assembly’s Public Services Committee into the causes and effects of a major power failure, concentrating on its effect on London Underground services. Several problems are identified, along with recommendations for their resolution. [PDF]
Squarewheels Railways - Richards Railway Page
- Detailed and illustrated descriptions of London Underground locomotives and rolling stock. Articles on the refurbishment of Mornington Crescent station and the final operational day of 1959 Northern Line stock. Also advice for cyclists using the tube.
- A discussion forum with topics relevant to station staff.
Sustainable Cooling Schemes for the London Underground Railway Network
- A scientific paper describing a possible solution to the problem of heat in tube carriages from the South Bank University School of Engineering Systems and Design. [PDF]
The Transport Forum
- Discussion forum for employees and enthusiasts of London Underground and other railways.
- Details the rules of the tube challenge, which involves visiting all of the stations on the London Underground network in the quickest possible time. Past attempts at the record are detailed, and there is a discussion forum for potential challengers.
Tube Journey Planner
- Finds the quickest route between stations on the London Underground.
- Homepage of the company which provides maintenance services for trains and infrastructure on the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines.
- Discussion forum. Users can discuss London Underground, Docklands Light Railway and other London railway matters.
- Technical details of the Tube, including signalling systems, trains and power supplies. Also features sections on history, the Public-Private Partnership scheme, track diagrams and plans for the future.
- A Tube traveller exploring the network's artistry, design and architecture. Readers can leave comments and ask questions.
- Provides details about the disused stations or "ghost" stations on the underground, together with suggestions for their future use. The author describes his visits to some of these stations and documents the wartime history of the Tube.
- A blog for commuters on the London Underground, outlining the problems and taking a cynical but humorous approach.
We’re Not Afraid!
- Images expressing protest against the London transport bombings of July 2005.
Wikipedia: London Underground
- Contributors discuss diverse aspects of the tube, including wartime usage, expansion plans and safety. Line and station histories are also covered, with links to related articles.
Usenet uk.transport.london -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 21, 2014 at 18:23:51 UTC -