The history of Broughton-in-Furness dates back to the 11th Century, with the oldest building thought to be St Mary's Church. The focus of the town is the Georgian market square with its obelisk, erected to mark the jubilee of King George III in 1810. Broughton was once an important market town, particularly for the woollen and cattle trades. It was also important as part of the iron making industry, with the nearby Duddon iron works being the best preserved example of the industry. The tourist area of Coniston is only a few miles from Broughton.
Related categories 1
Last update:July 13, 2015 at 15:07:30 UTC