The market town of Brampton, in northeast Cumbria, was founded in the 7th century. A wide and partly cobbled main street was ideal for the market, first held in 1252, its charter granted by Henry III. Its moot hall is now the tourist information centre. St Martin's Church is famous as the 'Pre-Raphealite' church, with windows designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, and made in the William Morris studio. Nearby is the ancient Lanercost Priory, and the few remains of Hadrian's wall in Cumbria. The population of Brampton is approximately 4,400.
Related categories 1
Last update:December 16, 2015 at 15:51:05 UTC