become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
de Valera, Eamon
Parnell, Charles Stewart
Smith O'Brien, William
1916 Easter Uprising
The Great Famine
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Northern Ireland: Society and Culture: History
This category in other languages:
1913 Catholic Encyclopedia: Ireland
- Article about the geography, history, early Christian period, society and religion.
Camloch 1981 Committee
- Information on the committee, organising a series of events commemorating the 1981 Hunger Strikes.
Chronological list of dates of Irish History
- Useful resource for quick and easy reference.
Coastguards of Yesteryear
- Information on people who worked as coastguards in Ireland.
- A biography of the Irish revolutionary, killed in 1922 by republican dissidents, together with a list of books and films, and speculation about the probable assassin.
Corpus of Electronic Texts
- History and information about project. Searchable database. Includes chronologies and bibliographies on Celtic scholars.
Desmond's Concise History of Ireland
- A brief history of Ireland, from 6000 B.C. to the present day.
- Moderated discussion group for the history and archaeology of Early Medieval Ireland, c.400-1200AD.
- News, a bulletin board, information on publications and events plus contact information.
Heritage of Ireland
- Interactive maps and information on parks, monuments, gardens, inland waterways, and national cultural institutions. Take a virtual tour. Send a postcard.
- Information on the many heritage towns, includes a section on Celtic spirituality.
- Illustrated Irish history magazine suitable for the scholar and the general reader. Feature articles from all periods of history, books reviews, news, events. Secure online ordering of subscriptions.
Ireland History in Maps
- A large collection of maps and detailed information.
Ireland in the New Century
- A text from UCC's CELT project: Sir Horace Plunkett's Ireland in the New Century (1904).
Ireland Old News
- A collection of social, political, maritime, and criminal news stories transcribed from Irish newspapers of the 18th to early 20th century.
The Ireland Story
- From prehistoric times to the present day. Supported with lots of maps and special detailed sections on the Famine, Omagh bomb, The Troubles and others.
- Information about Irish coins (and banknotes) for numismatists, collectors, archaeologists and others who have an interest in the currency in use in Ireland from earliest times to the present day.
Irish FAQ: History
- A FAQ maintained by volunteers, answering a few basic questions.
Irish Historical and Religious Statistics
- Includes statistics on violence, economics, and demographics.
Irish Hunger Martyrs
- Examines claims that during the famine of 1845-1852 Irish Catholics were forced to choose between conversion to the Protestant faith or starvation. Also follows efforts to have the Vatican beatify those who died. Contains supporting documentation, commentary and petition.
Irish Tourist Board Magazine
- A bi-monthly publication portraying Ireland's history,culture and lifestyle.
John Keegan Casey
- Information on John Keegan Casey poet and songwriter. Author of The Rising of the Moon.
Late Gaelic Ireland
- Moderated discussion group for the history and archaeology of Late Medieval to Earlier Modern Ireland, c.1000-1700AD and related topics.
- Online access to out-of-print books on Ireland and other Irish material.
The National Archives of Ireland
- Information including research and genealogical material. Online databases, including convict transportation records.
National Graves Association
- Information on association formed to restore, where necessary, and maintain fittingly the graves and memorials.
- A detailed history of the Irish police from the Garda Síochána Historical Society.
- Circa AD 1910. includes text and graphical index.
Step Back in Time in Donegal
- Read about a year-long project to farm the land using only old-time farming methods.
The Wild Geese
- Information on the formation and history of the Wild Geese. Features articles, including one on the Irish Brigade; and a weekly look at history.
World War I
- Ireland and World War I.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 5, 2016 at 17:54:04 UTC -