become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: Europe: Estonia: Society and Culture: History
Regional: Europe: Regions: Baltics: Society and Culture: History
Regional: Europe: Regions: Central and Eastern Europe: Society and Culture: History
Society: History: By Region: Europe
This category in other languages:
23 August: Remembrance day for the victims of totalitarian and authoritarian regimes
- History of Nazi-Soviet cooperation, especially the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. The resulting occupation of Estonia and population losses. The lasting effects on the Baltics, who are the only countries whose independence was not restored after the second world war.
Centre for Estonian Diaspora Studies
- Includes purpose, researchers, and publications. In Estonian and English.
Continuity of the Tartu Peace Treaty
- Article that analyzes the continuity of the Tartu Peace Treaty of 2 February 1920, in relation to the Estonian–Russian Border Treaties of 18 May 2005, and the legal debate about Estonia’s status in international law.
Estonia Ferry Disaster
- Report on the disaster by the German Group of Experts. Full text of the report and update of new findings.
Estonian History - MOFA
- In depth articles about Estonian history published by the ministry of foreign affairs.
Estonian International Commission for Investigation of Crimes Against Humanity
- Investigation of crimes against humanity committed against Estonian citizens or on the territory of the Republic of Estonia during the occupation by the Soviet Union and the Nazi Germany.
Estonian Swedes - Wikipedia
- History of the Estonian Swedes. They resided in the coastal areas and on the Estonian islands prior to the end of the second world war when most fled to Sweden to escape Soviet occupation.
Estonian War of Independence - Wikipedia
- Article about the war in which Estonia, defeated communist Russia and became independence.
Felix Kersten - Wikipedia
- A Baltic German born in Estonia who used his position as the personal masseur of Heinrich Himmler to help those who were persecuted by Nazi Germany.
Fog in the Baltic - The Economist
- Estonia arrested Herman Simm, an official a inside the Estonian defense ministry responsible for handling state secrets, but who was in fact a Russian spy.
History of Estonia
- History, Geography, and diaspora information
History of Estonia - WHKMLA
- Historical overview broken down by time period. Extensive list of links to reference material about the country.
History of Estonia - Wikipedia
- A comprehensive article covering the history of Estonia from the Mesolithic period to the present.
MS Estonia - Wikipedia
- Article about the sinking, rescue efforts and causes of the maritime disaster on September 28th, 1994 which left 852 dead.
Tartu Peace Treaty (Original)
- Original copy of the text of the peace treaty between Estonia and Russia, including a map of the agreed border.
Treaty of Peace between Russia and Estonia - Wikisource
- English translation of the full text of the Tartu Peace Treaty.
- History of the fleet of TU2 locomotives that ran on the extensive narrow gauge rail network that used to exist in Estonia.
The Cross of Liberty and the Monument to the War of Independence in Tallinn
- History of the Cross of Liberty, who it was bestowed on, and its use in the Memorial to the War of Independence. (December 03, 2008)
Correspondent's diary - Edward Lucas
- A week in Estonia by Economist correspondent, Edward Lucas, during which he discusses current events, including relations with Russia and the economic turmoil of 2008. (November 17, 2008)
Hackers Take Down the Most Wired Country in Europe - Wired
- A detailed article about the attack on the Estonian Internet. The botnets used in the attack and the methods used to fend it off. (August 21, 2007)
Behind Putin's Estonia Complex - IntelliBriefs
- An article that analyzes some of the possible reasons behind Putin's anti-Estonian anger. (May 25, 2007)
Frost Over The World - Toomas Hendrik Ilves
- Frost interviews Estonian president Ilves about the cyberattacks on Estonia after April 2007. (May 25, 2007)
Russia: Monument Dispute With Estonia Gets Dirty - RFE/RL
- Article about Russian reprisals against Estonia for having moved a memorial to Soviet soldiers. Including economic reprisals, the cyberattacks on Estonian websites, and disruptions of the Estonian embassy in Moscow by pro-Kremlin Nashi youth. (May 04, 2007)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 5, 2014 at 13:45:06 UTC -