become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/Garifuna
Society and Culture
Arts: Music: Styles: R: Regional and Ethnic: Caribbean
Regional: Central America: Belize: Stann Creek: Localities: Dangriga
Regional: Central America: Guatemala: Localities: Livingston
Regional: Central America: Guatemala: Localities: Puerto Barrios
Regional: Central America: Honduras: Islands: Roatan
Regional: Central America: Honduras: Localities: Tela
Regional: North America: United States: New York: Localities: N: New York City: The Bronx
Society: Ethnicity: African
Society: Ethnicity: The Americas: Indigenous: Caribbean: Caribs
El Espíritu de mi Mamá (The Spirit of my Mother)
- Film about a young Garifuna woman raised in Los Angeles, who travels to the Caribbean after her mother's death. Includes annotated list of links about the culture, with Spanish-language notes on the music and movie reviewers' comments.
Garifuna American Heritage Foundation United
- Southern California group seeking to preserve and disseminate Garifuna culture. They list upcoming fundraisers and concerts, with news stories and links to related groups.
Garifuna Migration Teacher's Guide
- Lesson plans for studying the Garifuna migration, as well as exploring the roots of students' own families.
- A portal with an array of links for contemporary Garifuna news, issues, culture, and organizations.
Lebeha Drumming Center
- Hopkins Village, Belize. Teaches local children traditional music, and offers concerts each night.
National Garifuna Council of Belize
- Non-governmental organization which works to preserve culture and to carry out projects with the national government. They describe Garifuna history by city, explain traditions, and list events.
- The producer's site for this audio collection of traditional musicians includes audio clips, photos, and biographies of the artists.
Garifuna: Vibrant, Soulful, African
- Personal account of a visit to Livingston, Belize, and of a New York City food and music gathering. Includes descriptions of seafood and coconut dishes, with recipes. (September 13, 2005)
Belize - The Exile's Song
- The World's report on Garifuna music, with a personal account by the reporter, photos, audio samples of several styles, and background information on the culture. (January 01, 2004)
Language Planning in a Transnational Speech Community
- Paper describing the current situation of the Garifuna language by country, with a discussion of the challenges and actions in maintaining the language across dispersed countries with varied dominant languages. [PDF] (January 01, 2002)
Pen Cayetano and the Original Turtle Shell Band
- RootsWorld article provides background on punta rock's development, with reviews of several of the band's albums. (January 01, 2002)
The Garifuna - Weaving a Future from a Tangled Past
- Excerpts from a National Geographic article, with personal notes from the writer and photographer, music samples, and map. (September 01, 2001)
Proclamation of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity
- Text of the UNESCO award to Garifuna language, dance and music. (May 18, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 19, 2015 at 5:24:08 UTC -