become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/Garifuna
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: Central America: Society and Culture: Garifuna
Arts: Music: Styles: R: Regional and Ethnic: Caribbean
Regional: Central America: Belize: Stann Creek: Localities: Dangriga
Regional: Central America: Guatemala: Localities: Livingston
Regional: Central America: Guatemala: Localities: Puerto Barrios
Regional: Central America: Honduras: Islands: Roatan
Regional: Central America: Honduras: Localities: Tela
Regional: North America: United States: New York: Localities: N: New York City: The Bronx
Society: Ethnicity: African
Society: Ethnicity: The Americas: Indigenous: Caribbean: Caribs
El Espíritu de mi Mamá (The Spirit of my Mother)
- Film about a young Garifuna woman raised in Los Angeles, who travels to the Caribbean after her mother's death. Includes annotated list of links about the culture, with Spanish-language notes on the music and movie reviewers' comments.
Garifuna American Heritage Foundation United
- Southern California group seeking to preserve and disseminate Garifuna culture. They list upcoming fundraisers and concerts, with news stories and links to related groups.
Garifuna Migration Teacher's Guide
- Lesson plans for studying the Garifuna migration, as well as exploring the roots of students' own families.
- Offers history, geography, and social information about Garifuna community; includes contact details for supportive organizations.
- A portal with an array of links for contemporary Garifuna news, issues, culture, and organizations.
Lebeha Drumming Center
- Hopkins Village, Belize. Teaches local children traditional music, and offers concerts each night.
National Garifuna Council of Belize
- Non-governmental organization which works to preserve culture and to carry out projects with the national government. They describe Garifuna history by city, explain traditions, and list events.
- The producer's site for this audio collection of traditional musicians includes audio clips, photos, and biographies of the artists.
Garifuna: Vibrant, Soulful, African
- Personal account of a visit to Livingston, Belize, and of a New York City food and music gathering. Includes descriptions of seafood and coconut dishes, with recipes. (September 13, 2005)
Belize - The Exile's Song
- The World's report on Garifuna music, with a personal account by the reporter, photos, audio samples of several styles, and background information on the culture. (January 01, 2004)
Pen Cayetano: The Beginning of Punta Rock
- The text of the musician's account of his creation of the music style in 1978 in Dangriga, Belize, with photos and paintings. (January 01, 2003)
The Waning Economic Power of the Garinagu
- Text of a conference presentation noting the roles of earlier Garifuna in Belize as business and property owners, in comparison to modern aspirations as wage earners. (January 01, 2003)
Language Planning in a Transnational Speech Community
- Paper describing the current situation of the Garifuna language by country, with a discussion of the challenges and actions in maintaining the language across dispersed countries with varied dominant languages. [PDF] (January 01, 2002)
Pen Cayetano and the Original Turtle Shell Band
- RootsWorld article provides background on punta rock's development, with reviews of several of the band's albums. (January 01, 2002)
The Garifuna - Weaving a Future from a Tangled Past
- Excerpts from a National Geographic article, with personal notes from the writer and photographer, music samples, and map. (September 01, 2001)
Proclamation of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity
- Text of the UNESCO award to Garifuna language, dance and music. (May 18, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:15:09 AM EST -