The rivers Nan and Yom flow through the Phichit province, before they join shortly before the Chao Phraya is formed. The province mainly consists of low fertile river plains, making rice and lotus the main crops. The town Phichit was established in 1058 by Phraya Kotabongthevaraja, and was first part of the Sukhothai kingdom, and later of Ayutthaya. The name of the main city changed several times. At first it was called Sra Luang (city of the royal pond), in Ayutthaya times it was called Okhaburi (city in the swamp), and then finally Phichit (beautiful city).
Last update:July 24, 2011 at 17:20:37 UTC