become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake 1995
Tokyo Sarin Attack 1995
Society: History: By Region: Asia
This category in other languages:
Aspects of Japanese Shipping History
- Outlines trends in the development of Japan's commercial shipping prior to World War I. Argues that the promotion of the industry was undertaken primarily not for commercial, but for strategic imperialist reasons.
Business and Politics in Early 20th Century Japan
- Seeks to clarify the contributions and limitations of Japanese business diplomacy. Argues that Japanese business diplomacy, was insufficiently influential to prevent political and military conflict. [PDF]
The Confusion Era
- Describes postwar American involvement in remodeling Japanese society, along with pictures of several posters used for information and propaganda.
Dancing People are Happy People
- Essay on the introduction of square dancing to the people of Nagasaki in 1946 and its increase of social mixing between sexes and cultures.
Emperor Hirohito in 20th Century History: The Debate Rekindles
- Examines a new debate on Hirohito and his role in WWII and history, and as at once a product and an active agent of Japan's modern historical process.
- Short college essay on Fukuzawa, who was one of the Meiji Era's most influential figures.
Great Japanese Inventors in History
- List and description of several Meiji Era Japanese inventors, with descriptions of in their creations and biographies.
Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan
- Essay on Hirohito and the Japanese government coming to grips with Japan's decision to go to war and their post-war relationship with the United States.
History Textbook Controversies in Japan
- Provides full-text access to the ERIC Digest of this name which looks at Japanese textbooks and how they cover Japanese history from the early 20th Century. [PDF]
Imperial Japanese Navy Page
- Contains pictures of former vessels in the wartime navy, as well as information on their guns, torpedoes, sensors, names, and officers.
Japan Center for Asian Historical Records
- Provides electronic access to digital images of historical records about modern Japan-Asia relations held by Japanese national institutions. Includes records held by the National Archives of Japan, the Diplomatic Record Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the National Institute for Defense Studies of the National Defense Agency. Time period: early Meiji (1867-1912) era through World War II. In English and Japanese.
- History of Japan. Overview, and ancient to modern Japan
Japanese Militarism & Diaoyutai (Senkaku) Island
- Essay by a Kyoto University professor attacking Japanese nationalism and asserting that the Diaoyutai islands are rightfully China's.
Largest Cities in Japan: Population from 1890
- Shows populations in major Japanese cities every decade from 1890.
MIT Visualizing Cultures -- Japan
- Visual culture (art, photography, video, etc) of Japan since the mid-19th century. The aim of the collection, created by Pulitzer-Prize winner John Dower, is to gain new perspectives on "cultures" in the broadest sense. "Cultures" include Westernization, modernization, changing modes of technology and mass communication, imperialism, nationalism, militarism, racism, commercialization and consumerism. Begins with the black ships of Commodore Perry and ends with pictures by A-bomb survivors.
- Offers quick conversion from the traditional Japanese calendar system from 1868 to the Gregorian calendar.
Politics and the Economy in Pre-War Japan
- Discusses the influences that led to the economic policies pursued in the interwar period. [PDF]
Secret of Sakhalin Island (Karafuto)
- Overview of history and discovery of Sakhalin Island (Karafuto), one of the territories still disputed between Japan and Russia.
Timeline of Japanese History
- Brief outline of historical periods from the Jomon Period to the present.
Whale Meat in the Traditional Japanese Diet
- From the Jomon period to 1987.
Usenet sci.military.naval -
Usenet soc.culture.japan.moderated -
Usenet soc.history.war.world-war-ii -
Usenet soc.history.what-if -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 8, 2016 at 6:24:03 UTC -