become an editor
the entire directory
only in Arts_and_Entertainment/Traditional
Arts and Entertainment
Open Directory - Regional: Asia: Japan: Arts and Entertainment: Traditional
Deities and Myths
Origami and Washi
Arts: Crafts: Paper: Origami
Home: Gardening: Bonsai and Suiseki
- Take a tour through Tokyo during the period of the Tokugawa shoguns, and learn about the history of Japan's greatest city. Illustrated by ukiyo-e images, the text discusses the traditions that underlie Japanese culture.
Art of Japan
- Educational and interactive website featuring information on origami, architecture, sculpture, Japanese gardens, and painting.
The Costume Museum - The Rebirth of The Tale of Genji
- Kyoto Museum containing Japanese costumes from all eras. Illustrated samples from the Heian period exhibit. Includes a page on The Tale of Genji Museum.
Discover Japanese Sake
- Gives the history, process, variety, and brewing of Japan's national alcoholic beverage.
- Shows several examples of ceramic art and traditional postcards.
Explore Japan: Japanese Gardens And Culture
- Explore Japanese culture, art, crafts, Japanese gardens, Zen gardens, food and lifestyle.
- Overview of history from Stone Age beginnings to contemporary, including painting, sculpture, ukiyo-e, architecture, and gardens.
- Short discussion of traditional crafts in the twentieth century.
History of Japanese Incense
- Educational webpage on the history and evolution of Japanese incense ceremonies and culture.
Introduction to Japanese Traditional Arts
- Theater arts, fine arts and literature, with links.
Japanese Art in the Asia Society Collection
- Exhibition of more than 25 objects in the collection. With a QuickTime tour, a more linear progression through the exhibition, and bibliography of Japanese art.
Japanese Artistic Traditions
- Discussion of aesthetic concepts, and of the activities of the Department of Cultural Affairs, established in 1968.
- Learn about Japanese kimono, fabrics, patterns, kimono robes, yukata, how to wear a kimono, and accessories.
Kagura - The Japanese Ancient Sacred Music
- With overview, photos, and Realaudio example of some of Japan's oldest music.
Michi Online: Journal of Japanese Cultural Arts
- Magazine, links, and resources for everyone interested in Japanese arts, culture, and meditation, from aikido to Zen.
Ogura Hyakunin Isshu; 100 Poems by 100 Poets
- Collection of 100 poems in the tanka variety used in Japanese royal courts, compiled from the 7th to the 13th century.
- A guide to the history and traditional culture of the Kansai region.
The Secret of Traditional Japanese Ingredient Miso
- Background information and history of soybean paste (miso) in Japan, its use as a health food, and recipes using it.
Shinto and Buddhist Corner
- A Japanese Buddhism and Shinto art photo dictionary with over 900 photos.
- Photographs of traditional construction of Japanese kites, the Tahara.
Traditional Infuences on Contemporary Sculpture
- Description of Japanese sculpture from "American Memory" - Historical Collections for the National Digital Library [Japan - a country study].
The Virtual Museum of Japanese Arts
- Includes examples and descriptions of several forms of Japanese traditional arts, crafts, and traditions.
- Shows patterns and designs of Japanese paper, kimono, fabrics, and cards.
World Art Treasures
- Slides from the Jacques-Edouard Berger Foundation collection, illustrating Berger's idea of the fundamental aspects of Japanese art. Mostly sculpture.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 5, 2013 at 10:15:10 UTC -