become an editor
the entire directory
only in Issues/Caste_and_Communal_Issues
Society and Culture
Caste and Communal Issues
Regional: Asia: India: Society and Culture: Communities
- A detailed account by Human Rights Watch of the extent and means of discrimination against lower castes.
Caste in India
- An explanation of the caste system in history, and modern practice.
Caste Problem in India
- Swami Vivekananda, with a partial justification of the caste system. Denies that the system is a product of religion, and ascribes it to other social factors.
Caste System in Bengal
- A brief account of how the system developed in Bengal, with some notes on the differences from the rest of India.
The Caste System in Hinduism
- A basic introduction to the caste system, including an account of its religious justification.
Caste System in Modern India
- Read about the caste system prevailing in modern India.
Castes of India
- An overview of the caste system, and additional notes on history, its place in modern India, and its relevance to untouchables and non-Hindus.
- Collection of articles, comments and analyses on the issues.
Dalits & Human Rights : The Battles Ahead
- First of a set of articles by P. Sainath on the position of Dalits in the country in the 1990's.
Hindu History - The Emergence of the Caste System (The Jati-Varna Matrix)
- Account of the emergence of the hierarchical caste system by Sudheer Birodkar, with parallels drawn with class systems in other regions.
The Indian Caste System and the British
- Kevin Hobson on the British role in building the modern caste system. Also discusses how the parallels between the caste system and the British class system led to mutual support and reinforcement of each during the 19th century.
Indian Parliament Committee on the Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
- Reports on the activities, constitution and membership of this group, and reports produced by it recently.
Restorative Justice and India's Caste System: New World Outlook, July - August 1999
- Account of the place of caste in Indian society today, from a site promoting Christian Methodism.
Sub-Castes Among Dalits
- On the political issues around the existence of subcastes among Dalits and scheduled castes.
The Hindu : Politics of 'hereditary' crime
- Article on the 'Criminal Tribes Act' and its legacy in the form of communities that continue to be considered inherently criminal by the authorities. (September 09, 2001)
Caste and Communal Issues
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 2, 2013 at 2:33:28 UTC -