become an editor
the entire directory
only in Nelson_Mandela/News_and_Media
Society and Culture
News and Media
Mandela - Long Walk to Freedom [2013 film]
ABC News - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news, videos and photos. US.
ABS-CBN News - Who was Nelson Mandela?
- Infographic of the salient points in his life, including his state visit to the Philippines in March 1997. Philippines
ABS-CBN News The World Tonight - Teditorial: Strength of his Enemies
- Teddy Locsin Jr. talks about how former South African President Nelson Mandela played on the strengths of his enemies. Philippines.
Africa.com - Nelson Mandela
- Collected stories from those lucky enough to meet him, reflections on the legacy he leaves behind, and how the Nelson Mandela Digital Archive plans to keep his memory alive. US.
The Age - Editorial: The Great Legacy of Nelson Mandela
- "The life of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela challenges us all to act on our consciences and put humanity first." Australia.
Al Jazeera English - Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
- Collected news, analysis and commentary along with slideshows of his life and world reactions to his passing. Qatar.
AllAfrica.com: Nelson Mandela: Life And Times
- Collected news and commentary with tributes, photo galleries and video. Africa. South Africa. [English, French]
The Atlantic - Nelson Mandela's First TV Interview, May 1961
- A 42-year-old Mandela spoke from hiding with a British reporter in the aftermath of a government crackdown.
The Australian - Final Step of Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom
- Obituary, tribute, pictures and video. Australia.
Baltimore Sun - Darkroom: Remembering Nelson Mandela, South Africa's First Black President
- Large photo gallery with links to related articles. U.S.
BBC History - Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
- Obituary and related coverage including pictures, audio and video. UK.
BBC News - Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
- Full news coverage including features and analysis, reactions, front pages from around the world, audio, video and pictures. UK.
BBC Sport - How Nelson Mandela Used Sport to Transform South Africa's Image
- Describes how he used sport as a tool to unite people and to redefine a country's international image, perhaps the first global leader to do so. Includes links to related stories. UK.
BBC Sport - Nelson Mandela: Sport Pays Tribute to Former South Africa President
- Muhammad Ali, Pele, Tiger Woods, David Beckham and Seth Blatter lead tributes from sports figures to South Africa's first black president. UK.
BelfastTelegraph - Dunnes Strikers to Attend Funeral
- Irish supermarket workers who went on strike for almost three years over the import of goods from apartheid South Africa are set to attend Nelson Mandela's funeral. Northern Ireland.
BelfastTelegraph - Nelson Mandela Life and Times
- Infographic about the South African leader, with links to related articles, his life in pictures, local tributes, and his obituary. Northern Ireland.
BET - BET Remembers Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
- Complete coverage of the death of Nelson Mandela. US.
Billboard - Nelson Mandela Passes: 10 Musical Tributes to the Iconic Political Figure
- Music videos and audio from U2, Hugh Masekela, The Specials, Youssou N'Dour, Public Enemy, Santana, Simple Minds, 2pac, Tracy Chapman and Johnny Clegg. US.
Bloomberg - Nelson Mandela News
- Collected news articles, videos, photos and blog posts about the South African leader. US.
Boston.com - The Big Picture: The World Mourns Mandela
- Photo gallery of mourners and tributes from all over the world, in honor of Nelson Mandela. US.
Business Day - Nelson Mandela
- Collected articles, photo gallery and editorial about the South African leader. South Africa.
CBC Digital Archives - Nelson Mandela: Prisoner, President, Peacemaker
- Collected radio and television clips. Canada.
CBS News - Nelson Mandela
- Complete coverage of his life and fight to end apartheid. US.
Charlie Rose - Nelson Mandela
- African National Congress President Nelson Mandela, who was released in 1990 after 27 years of imprisonment, talks about his role as a key player in the struggle for political change in South Africa. He also discusses his recent address to the UN. Air Date 9/29/1993. US.
Christian Science Monitor - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news and commentary on his passing and from the archives. US.
CNBC - Nelson Mandela: A Man and a Country
- Slideshow of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela's life, in 32 pictures. US.
CNN - Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
- Full coverage including articles, photo galleries, interactives and video. Additionally, CNN iReport invites users to share their memories, photos and personal stories of the Nobel Peace Prize winner. US.
Contra Costa Times - Payton: Remembering Mandela's Visit to Oakland
- Describes his appearance in Oakland Coliseum on June 30, 1992, and the actions and importance of the Bay Area in the anti-apartheid movement. US.
CTV News - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news and commentary including local remembrances and reactions. Canada.
Daily Kos - On Nelson Mandela
- A roundup of some very new and very old reactions to Nelson Mandela.
Daily Record - Gordon Brown on Nelson Mandela
- Former Prime Minister Gordon Brown remembers his friend Nelson Mandela, including his 90th birthday party, when the world celebrated at a concert in Hyde Park. Scotland.
The Daily Star - Lebanon Hails Mandela, Offers Condolences
- President Michel Sleiman and other leading Lebanese political figures offered condolences. Includes links to related articles. Lebanon.
DAWN - NA Pays Tribute to Mandela
- Both houses of parliament mourned for Nelson Mandela on Friday, but there was apparently unconcern about the South African statesman’s vision of national reconciliation that Pakistan’s two main political parties had made a pact in 2006 to pursue. Pakistan.
Democracy Now! - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news and excerpts from past Democracy Now! interviews about the life and legacy of Mandela. US.
Deseret News - Utahns React to Death of Nelson Mandela
- Utahn Howard "Buddy" Beck, an official election observer of South Africa's first fully representative, multiracial election, remembers Nelson Mandela. US.
Detroit Free Press - Detroiters Remember Nelson Mandela
- Local remembrances and tributes, with links to related articles including "Flashback: 18 hours in 1990 when Mandela charmed Detroit". US.
The Economist - Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela (1918-2013)
- Obituary, remembrances, slideshow, and highlights from the newspaper's print and video archives. UK.
ESPN - Nelson Mandela's Impact
- "We owe Nelson Mandela an inexpressible debt. In partial payment, some thoughts from writers and activists about his impact on the world, including the world of sports." US.
Euronews - Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
- Collected news and video. Europe.
Forbes - U.S. Presidents On Nelson Mandela
- Video of American presidents from Jimmy Carter to Barack Obama reflecting on the life of the late human rights leader, Nobel Peace Prize recipient and South African president. US.
FRANCE 24 - Mandela: World Icon
- Images of Nelson Mandela across magazines, billboards and improvised memorials across the world following the news of his death on December 5, 2013.
The Globe and Mail - Topic: Nelson Mandela
- News and video of the life, death and legacy of the South African leader. Canada.
The Guardian - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news, analysis and commentary about the South African hero of the apartheid struggle who became South Africa's first democratically-elected president. UK.
GulfNews.com - South Africa and Its People Must Emulate Nelson Mandela
- After a day of prayer and reflection, many South Africans believe they must find ways of giving practical expression to the legacy of Nelson Mandela, to help secure its future. UAE.
Gwinnett Daily Post - Nelson Mandela, the Conscience of the World
- Eugene Robinson writes about Mandela's legacy, a living symbol of hope and triumph. US.
Haaretz - Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
- Collected news and commentary about the South African leader. Israel.
Ina.fr - Nelson Mandela
- Archived video and radio clips from interviews with the South African statesman, who speaks in English which is then translated into French. France.
Independent - Archbishop Desmond Tutu Salutes ‘Magician’ Nelson Mandela Who Healed the Nation
- South Africa’s Anglican leader fondly remembers his good friend. UK.
International New York Times - Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s Liberator as Prisoner and President, Dies at 95
- Obituary with related coverage of his life and legacy. US.
IOL News - A Tribute to Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela
- Collected news and commentary along with tributes, pictures and videos. South Africa.
Jerusalem Post - Netanyahu, Peres Mourn the Loss of Mandela, 'a Freedom Fighter'who opposed violence'
- President Shimon Peres: "He was a strong proponent of democracy, a valued arbitrator, a Nobel Peace Prize winner and above everything he was a builder of bridges of peace and dialogue." Israel.
Los Angeles Times - Framework: Nelson Mandela
- An extraordinary collection of photos and videos. US.
Macleans.ca - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news and commentary including Canadian reactions and May 1994 coverage of Mandela being sworn in as president. Canada.
Middle East Online - Taking Inspiration from Mandela’s legacy: A call for national reconciliation in the Arab World
- Tunisian writer Oussama Romdhani issues “a call for reconciliation in the Arab World”, based on Nelson Mandela’s experience of national reconciliation giving inspiration to many countries of the Arab World as they grapple with domestic strife and instability. UK.
Mirror.co.uk - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news, tributes, pictures and video on the passing of the South African leader. UK.
The Moscow Times - Russian Leaders Mourn Mandela's Passing
- Russian leaders have offer condolences to the people of South Africa. Russia.
Mother Jones - Nelson Mandela's Epitaph, in His Own Words
- Remembering Mandela with the epic 1964 speech he believed might be his last.
MTV - Nelson Mandela Remembered By Bono, Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Harry Styles
- Eulogies, quotes and tweets from artists around the world. US.
MTV - Nelson Mandela's Musical Legacy: From 50 Cent To U2
- The former South African president and anti-apartheid activist left behind a legacy of historical change and a long list of musical admirers. US.
The Nation - The Meaning of Mandela
- By the time of his death at age 95, South Africans were well prepared to keep his dream alive—that too is part of Nelson Mandela's great legacy. US.
The Nation - This Week in ‘Nation’ History: Nelson Mandela’s Courage Through the Years
- On his ninety-fifth birthday, Katrina vanden Heuvel honored his legacy by remembering him in the context of his times. US.
National Geographic - Nelson Mandela, 1918-2013: An Appreciation
- Editor in Chief Chris Johns recalls meeting the South African leader early in 2001 while working with writer Peter Godwin on a story about Peace Parks, wildlife reserves without borders.
National Review Online - Nelson Mandela, R.I.P
- Deroy Murdock's mea culpa on how badly he and other self-identified conservatives misjudged the South African leader at the time he was imprisoned. US.
NDTV.com - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news coverage, including videos and photos. India.
New Statesman - David Cameron and Ed Miliband's Tributes to Nelson Mandela
- Cameron says "a great light has gone out in the world", while Miliband says he "taught people across the globe the true meaning of courage, strength, hope and reconciliation." UK.
The New York Times - Nelson Mandela
- Collection of recent and archived news and commentary, photos, multimedia and selected web resources. US.
The New Yorker - Nelson Mandela in The New Yorker
- Remembering articles over the years about the South African leader. Includes links to additional memorial coverage. UK.
The New Zealand Herald - Nelson Mandela Dies at Age 95
- Obituary with links to related news, tributes, photos and videos along with an interactive timeline, quotes and archived coverage. New Zealand.
News24 - Special Report: Nelson Mandela
- News, multimedia and archived information about the former South African president. South Africa.
NPR - Mandela: An Audio History
- Five-part series looks at South Africa's half-century-long struggle for democracy through rare sound recordings of freedom fighter Nelson Mandela and those who fought with and against him. US.
Oprah.com - Remembering Nelson Mandela's Appearances on 'The Oprah Show'
- Clips from Nelson Mandela's appearances on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show', showing a side of the Nobel Peace Prize winner many may not have seen.
Otago Daily Times - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news and commentary about the South Africa leader, including a tribute from former All Black coach Laurie Mains. New Zealand.
PBS Frontline - The Long Walk of Nelson Mandela
- Program chronicles the life, character and leadership of one of the great figures of the twentieth century, drawing on intimate interviews with Nelson Mandela's political allies and adversaries as well as his jailers, drivers and others. US.
PBS NewsHour - How Mandela Forever Changed South Africa
- Jeffrey Brown gets perspective on Mandela's impact from three South Africans: Penelope Andrews of the Albany Law School, Mzamo Mangaliso of the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and Charles Villa-Vicencio, the national research director in the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
PBS NewsHour - Obama: Mandela's Legacy of South African Renewal Is an Example to the World
- Video and transcript of President Barack Obama remembering how the writings and "fierce dignity" of the iconic South African leader inspired him, and encouraging others to follow the example of the man who "bent the arc of the moral universe towards justice" in his journey from prisoner to president.
People.com - Nelson Mandela Is Dead at 95
- Extended profile with video tribute, photos, and related articles including their coverage in 1990. US.
Philly.com - In Phila. area, Mandela Recalled as Source of Inspiration
- Political leaders across the Philadelphia region Thursday praised Nelson Mandela as an iconic figure whose struggle for justice inspired the world.
PNN - Marwan Barghouti to Nelson Mandela: "Our Freedom Seems Possible Because You Reached Yours"
- Tribute to the South African leader from the Palestinian political figure, imprisoned by Israel since 2002. Palestine.
Poynter - A Poynter Remembrance and Tribute to Mandela
- Remembering how Nelson Mandela made possible Poynter's training of African journalists. US.
Prague Post - Nelson Mandela
- Collected coverage, including local reactions. Czech Republic.
PressTV - Iran Majlis Speaker Grieves Mandela's Death
- Iran Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani has offered condolences to the South African government, parliament and nation on the departure of the country’s anti-apartheid icon. Iran.
Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty - World Pays Tribute to Mandela
- Political leaders, celebrities, and ordinary people around the world have been honoring the legacy of Nelson Mandela, the antiapartheid fighter and pro-democracy icon who has passed away at age 95.
Reuters - Nelson Mandela, from Apartheid Fighter to President and Unifier
- Extended tribute with related videos. UK.
Rolling Stone - Nelson Mandela: Musicians, Politicians Remember a Global Leader
- Collection of some favorite Twitter tributes on the passing of the Nobel-peace prize winning leader who was a global inspiration. Includes links to related articles. US.
RT News - 'Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people'
- Quotes which will inspire humankind for generations to come, from the South African anti-apartheid leader Nelson Mandela. Russia.
RTE News - 'A Great Light Has Been Extinguished'
- Obituary, tributes, photo galleries, timeline and archives on the life and times of former South African president Nelson Mandela. Ireland.
SABC - Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela 1918-2013
- Includes obituary, his life and legacy, events, tributes, radio/tv programmes and news stories. South Africa.
The Scotsman - Scotland’s Politicians Pay Tribute to Nelson Mandela
- The South African national flag was flown at half-mast alongside the Saltire outside Scottish Government headquarters at St Andrew's House in Edinburgh, to mark the passing of Nelson Mandela. Includes tributes from Scotland political figures and links to related articles. Scotland.
Sky News - Nelson Mandela: South Africa's Hero Dies
- Collected news and videos about South Africa's first black president, revered around the world as an icon of peace, freedom and reconciliation. UK.
Slate - Nelson Mandela, 1918-2013
- Collection of photographss of the South Africa leader who fought apartheid and championed human rights. US.
South China Morning Post - Nelson Mandela's Struggle for Freedom Inspired the World
- Collected news and commentary about the South African leader, including the lasting tribute of Hong Kong band Beyond's 'Glorious Days'. China.
Spectator.co.uk - Nelson Mandela
- Collected commentary and a photo gallery. UK.
Standard Digital News - Mandela's Towering Legacy of Humility, Selfless Service and Virtue
- As the world continues to mourn his departure, Nelson Mandela has left behind a legacy that will be hard to match by any current or future leader. Kenya.
Straits Times - Tributes to Nelson Mandela Pour in from Singapore's Politicians
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela "embodied the best of the human spirit", Foreign Minister K. Shanmugam said on Friday. Singapore.
The Telegraph - Nelson Mandela
- Obituary and collected coverage of South Africa's first post-apartheid president and Nobel Peace Prize winner. Includes interactive timeline and slideshows. UK.
TIME - Nelson Mandela
- News, background, pictures, videos, specials and TIME covers about Nelson Mandela. US.
Times of India - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news, commentary, local reactions and photos. India
The Times of Israel - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news, commentary and photos about the South African leader. Israel.
Variety - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news, photos, and reactions from those who knew him including Harvey Weinstein, Idris Elba, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Paul Simon, Morgan Freeman and Terrence Howard. US.
VOA - The 'Mandela Generation' Reflects on South Africa's Founding Hero
- Reactions from the youngsters who make up the so-called “Mandela generation," the first children to be born and raised in a democratic South Africa. Includes links to related articles. US.
Wall Street Journal - Nelson Mandela
- News articles and commentary relating to the South African leader. US.
The Washington Post - Nelson Mandela, Ex-President of South Africa, Dies at 95
- Extended obituary, photo gallery, timeline and audio of the South African leader. US.
The Washington Post - The Big Story: Nelson Mandela Dies at 95
- Collected news coverage about the South African leader. US.
Yahoo! News - Nelson Mandela
- Selected stories, photo galleries and videos. US.
Zee News - Nelson Mandela
- Collected news coverage of the South African leader, including a tribute from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. India.
Nelson Mandela news and media
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: September 3, 2015 at 11:15:03 UTC -