become an editor
the entire directory
only in Europe/United_Kingdom
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Arts and Entertainment: Museums
Blue Hills Tin Streams
- Working tin mine offers tours of the mine plus tin jewellery made on site. Includes some history and online guided tour of processes.
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum
- Visitor information including opening times, map, and bookings. Includes map of ironstone mines and industry history. Located in Skinningrove, Cleveland.
Durham Mining Museum
- History and culture of the coal mining industry in the North of England. Includes details of fatalities, disaster and collieries and pits.
Honister Slate Mine
- Describes England's only Slate Mine at Honister Pass, Keswick, where there are underground visits and a heritage centre. The history of the slate mine and general information about slate is given.
Keswick Mining Museum
- First mining museum to be established in Cumbria and it hosts the a large collection of mining memorabilia. Includes admission details, location, and walks.
Langton Matravers Museum
- Former Coach House Museum provides exhibits devoted to the history of local limestone. Includes a visitor's guide. Located in the Isle of Purbeck, Dorset.
Modern History Sourcebook: Women Miners in the English Coal Pits
- An account of women and girls working in British coal mines in 1842.
The Museum of Lead Mining
- Scotland's only former lead mine at Wanlockhead in South West Scotland. Brief visitor information about the underground tour, and the museum with its mineral display.
National Coal Mining Museum
- The museum at Wakefield in West Yorkshire gives the visitor the opportunity to go 450ft down one of the oldest working mines in England. Includes a guide to the history and facilities.
National Mining Museum Scotland
- Located at the Lady Victoria Colliery was founded to preserve and present Scotland's mining heritage. Visitor information, history of the mine and information about special functions.
National Slate Museum
- Heritage centre at Llanberis, bringing back to life the inheritance of the North Wales slate industry. Visitor information, events and educational section.
Peak District Mines Historical Society (PDMHS)
- Exists to preserve industrial heritage sites related to mining for lead, fluorspar, barytes and other minerals in the Peak District. Information about their projects, resources, museum, publications and a list of British mines in 1896.
Purbeck Mineral & Mining Museum
- Exhibits artifacts connected to the mining of ball clay. Includes its history and volunteer opportunities. Located at Norden near Corfe Castle Dorset and is part of the Swanage Railway.
Sygun Copper Mine
- Situated in the Snowdonia National Park, North Wales, where there are winding tunnels and large, colourful chambers. Brief information about the mine, and about the stalactite and stalagmite formations.
Yorkshire Dales Mining Museum
- Contains lead mining relics. Includes an overview of the group, collection details, opening times, and an admission charge.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 1, 2015 at 4:26:43 UTC -