become an editor
the entire directory
only in Archaeology/United_Kingdom
Reference: Museums: History: Living History and Open Air: Europe: United Kingdom
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Arts and Entertainment: Museums
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: Europe: United Kingdom
The Ashmolean: Museum of Art and Archaeology
- Attached to the University of Oxford. Antiquities collections range from Palaeolithic to Victorian, from Egypt to Britain. Exhibitions, publications, news.
Butser Ancient Farm
- Replica of an Iron Age farm circa 300 BC, with buildings, animals and crops. Both a museum and an open-air laboratory for research into the Iron Age and Roman periods. Photos, information for visitors and schools.
- The museum is noted for its imaginative displays of Roman Cirencester. News, events, education, visitor information.
Creswell Crags: Home of the Ice Age Hunter
- At the east end of a gorge honeycombed with caves in which Ice Age hunters lived. An exhibition "The Age of Ice" tells the story of human and animal survival in the harsh climate of the last Ice Age.
Dover Roman Painted House
- Roman archaeological site discovered in 1970 by the Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit. Includes hours of operation, admission fees and directions. Located in Dover, UK.
I Dig Sheffield
- An online guide to archaeology around Sheffield and the Peak District from Sheffield Galleries and Museums Trust. Sheffield City Museum's collection, archaeological sites and news. Messageboard.
Jorvik Viking Centre
- Built on the site where the York Archaeological Trust found the amazingly well-preserved remains of part of Viking Jorvik (York). A massive range of evidence was recovered and has been used to recreate every last aspect of everyday life.
Kilmartin House Museum
- Archaeology museum on the West Coast of Scotland. An interactive map leads to photographs, description and bibliography for 150 sites scattered over the rich archaeological landscape of the Kilmartin Valley. Also feature on ancient music.
The Mary Rose
- Raised from the sea and on display at Portsmouth, this Tudor warship made waves in nautical archaeology. Detailed, scholarly history, photographs, description, visitor information.
Museum of Archaeology
- The former mill at the Old Fulling Mill in Durham City houses the archaeological collections of Durham University. Photographs, history, exhibitions, visitor information.
Museum of the Iron Age
- Uses reconstructions and displays of finds to tell the story of Danebury, the Iron Age hill fort excavated by Professor Barry Cunliffe and his team. Information for schools and visitors.
Norton Priory Museum & Gardens
- This museum in Runcorn, Cheshire, displays the excavated remains of the monastery, together with a model of it. Visitor information, attractions, events, exhibitions and educational programme.
Pitt Rivers Museum
- At the School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography in Oxford houses archaeological and ethnographic objects from all parts of the world. History and collections, visitor information.
Ribchester Roman Museum
- Displays the Romano-British history of the town known to the Romans as Bremetenacum Veteranorum, site of an auxiliary cavalry fort. Opening times, press releases.
Roman Baths, Bath
- The official site provides a guide to Roman Britain, the thermal springs at Bath, an online virtual tour and information for visitors.
Scottish Crannog Centre
- A reconstruction of a lochside dwelling over 2,500 years old was built by the Scottish Trust for Underwater Archaeology at Loch Tay, Perthshire. Photographs and visitor information. 3D virtual crannog requires VRML2 (free download available).
The Stone Age Tools Museum
- A virtual online museum of how to make, collect and identify stone age tools, illustrating flint tools from the Palaeolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic prehistoric periods.
University of Liverpool: The Garstang Museum of Archaeology
- Houses a large Egyptian collection and objects from listed Near Eastern, Classical and British sites. Provides hours, facilities, a history of the collection, and details of facilities.
Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum
- Roman fort and settlement by Hadrian's Wall. Provides a visitor's guide, excavation news, FAQs, volunteerism, opening times, rates and directions.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 3, 2016 at 22:08:42 UTC -