become an editor
the entire directory
only in Europe/United_Kingdom
Open Directory - Reference: Museums: Military: Europe: United Kingdom
Reference: Museums: Transportation: Aviation: Europe: United Kingdom
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Arts and Entertainment: Museums
Society: History: By Topic: Wars and Conflicts: Regional: United Kingdom
Army Museums Ogilby Trust
- Serving the regimental and corps museums of the British Army. Located in Salisbury.
Cardiff Castle Museum of the Welsh Soldier
- Regimental Museum of 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards and The Royal Welsh. Situated within Cardiff Castle.
Carpetbagger Aviation Museum
- Displays and exhibits depict the history of the airfield in Harrington, Northamptonshire. Includes details of the collection, special events, photos and a location map.
Cornwall's Regimental Museum
- Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry Museum housing a fine collection of medals, weapons, uniforms, paintings and artefacts.
Cumbria's Military Museum
- The King's Own Royal Border Military Museum of Cumbria incorporating the history of the Kings Own Royal Border Regiment museum and the Border Regiment museum.
- Experience the sights, sounds and smells of those dangerous years of World War II. Located in Malton.
The Edward Haughey Solway Aviation Museum
- Operated by volunteers from the Solway Aviation Society. The society owns nine significant aircraft - the most prominent of which is an Avro Vulcan bomber. Located at Carlisle Airport, Carlisle, Cumbria.
The Fighter Collection
- A collection of airworthy WWII aircraft based at Duxford, UK.
Fleet Air Arm Museum
- One of the world's largest aviation museums with over 90 aircraft in the collection on display including Concorde 002 (the British prototype). Located near Ilchester.
Gordon Highlanders Museum
- Relives the story of one of the British Army's regiments. Collection contains items gathered over two centuries, including a display of 12 Victoria Crosses. Includes hours, fees and directions. Located in Aberdeen, Scotland.
H.M. Frigate Unicorn
- Launched in 1824 as a 46 gun frigate for the Royal Navy. Features history of the ship and schedule. Located in Dundee, Scotland.
The Historic Dockyard Chatham
- Records 400 years of Royal Naval history with 47 scheduled ancient monuments on the 80-acre site. Visitor information, events and facility hire.
- Floating museum moored on the River Thames in Central London.
Imperial War Museum
- The museum is unique in its coverage of conflicts, from the First World War to the present day, particularly those involving Britain and the Commonwealth.
Imperial War Museum
- Duxford - Includes a collection of historic aircraft and information on air shows.
Keep Military Museum
- Describes the facilities, forthcoming events, admission charges and opening times. An on-line shopping facility is available.
The Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker
- The secret home of central government and military commanders in the event of a nuclear attack during the Cold War. Located in Brentwood.
- Originally built at the behest of Henry the Eighth, this fort in Felixstowe is the only fort in England to have repelled a full scale invasion attempt. Located in Ipswich, Suffolk.
Liverpool Scottish Museum Trust
- The last 100 years of the Liverpool Scottish Regiment, Liverpool's own kilted infantry. With weapons, uniforms, photographs and artifacts.
Liverpool War Museum
- The Walton Group has restored the historical war time bunker, and opened to the public, as a memorial to those who died to achieve it. Provides its history, hours, programs, photos, current offers, and a contact form.
The Mary Rose
- Raised from the sea and on display at Portsmouth, this Tudor warship made waves in nautical archaeology. Detailed, scholarly history, photographs, description, visitor information.
Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre
- Britain’s first operational military airfield. The heritage centre's collection of photographs and artefacts tell the story of RFC/RAF Montrose. Contains information on hours, admissions and displays.
The Museum of Army Flying
- The museum displays a collection of over 35 helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. Attractions, events, photographs and contacts. Middle Wallop.
National Army Museum
- History of Britain's armies from the era of the Redcoat to Bosnia. Includes collections, realistic models and reconstructions bring the soldier's story vividly to life. Located in Chelsea.
The National Maritime Museum
- Incorporating the Royal Observatory, Greenwich and Queen's House. Promotes understanding of the history and future of Britain and the sea.
- Coastal Fortress built during the 1860's overloking Newhaven Harbour and Seaford Bay. Exhibitions include The Home Front 1939-45, The Royal Observer Corps, The Dieppe Raid, D.Day and Coastal Defence and an introductory film presentation. Full facilities available for school visits.
North Weald Airfield Museum
- Information about the museum and the airfield which has been in continuous operation since 1916. Located in Nerth Weald, Essex (near Epping).
Parham Airfield Museum
- Dedicated as a tribute to the endeavors of the 390th Bomb Group, 8th U.S. Army Air Force and other Allied airmen operating from bases throughout East Angla. Includes a history of the restoration and hours. Located in Suffolk.
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
- Based at the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth, Flagship Portsmouth is responsible for three of Britain's oldest and most historic warships - Henry VII's doomed flagship Mary Rose, Nelson's flagship HMS Victory and the world's first iron battleship, HMS Warrior.
REME Museum of Technology
- History of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and display of historic repair and recovery vehicle collection. Located near Reading, Berkshire.
Royal Air Force Museum
- Britain's National Museum of Aviation, celebrates the story of aviation from before the Wright Brothers to the RAF of the 21st Century.
Royal Air Force Museum - Cosford
- Houses five collections of aircraft, missiles, aero engines and motor vehicles from the early days of aviation through two world wars to the present day. Includes details of hours, admissions policy, group visits and directions.
Royal Air Force Museum: London
- Collection information, schedule, and virtual tour of the Royal Air Force Museum, Britain's national museum of aviation. Located on Grahame Park Way, Hendon (North London).
Royal Anglian Regiment Museum
- Features general, visitor and attendant information, online exhibits, and shop. Located in Duxford, Cambridgeshire.
The Royal Armouries
- A combination of displays, dramatic interpretations, live action events and interactive technology from the Leeds, London and Portsmouth museums which comprise the National Museum of Arms and Armour. Located in London.
The Royal Artillery Museum
- Museum of science, social and military history of the United Kingdom. Located in London.
Royal Dragoon Guards Museum and Regimental Association
- Exhibits features the Regiment's history. Includes admission charges, hours and map directions. Located in York.
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum
- The history of the regiment through the collection of artifacts and exhibitions. News and events, general information, location, and shop items. Located in Winchester, Hampshire.
Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
- Regimental Museum located in Enniskillen Castle. Offers information on history, battle honours, regimental music, membership and the museum shop.
Royal Marines Museum
- Dedicated to the preservation and presentation of all aspects of Royal Marines history. Located in Southsea, Hampshire.
The Royal Naval Museum
- Located in magnificent Georgian storehouses at the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth, the museum includes a rich collection of artefacts including ship models, figureheads, swords, uniforms, medals and fine paintings.
The Royal Navy Submarine Museum
- Offers a unique learning experience aboard a World War II submarine. Located in Gosport, Hampshire.
Royal Norfolk Regimental Museum
- Displays items from 1685 to the present day. Includes hours, admission, facilities, access, and location.
Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum London
- RRF Museum London, based at the Tower of London. Details of the Museum plus information and history of the Regiment.
Scapa Flow Interpretation Centre
- Displays of items from World War One and Two that includes descriptions, photos, recordings, and films located at Orkney, Scotland.
Scotland's Secret Bunker
- "Only taken off the Official Secrets list in 1993. Visit the Secret underground nuclear command bunker and discover the twilight world of the Government Cold War". Located in Troywood, Fife.
Somerset Military Museum
- Tells the story of the regiments of Somerset in war and peacetime.
Tangmere Military Aviation Museum
- Tangmere and the Battle of Britain, secret operations, the 'Dams' raid. These and many other stories are told through the exhibits of aircraft, and personal effects uniforms housed in the museum. Located in West Sussex.
The Tank Museum
- Located in Bovington, Dorset, the museum of the Royal Tank Regiment and Royal Armoured Corps is a collection of tanks and armoured fighting vehicles. Features 360 degree and audio tours, admission details and online exhibits.
Thameside Aviation Museum
- Features aviation history and the archeology of over thirty downed WW II aircraft. Located in East Tilbury, Essex.
- This museum displays a large collection of artefacts relating to units of the RAF, USAAF and British Army which have operated from the airfield over the past 60 years. Located in Bassingbourn.
Twinwood Arena and The Glenn Miller Museum
- The final departure place of Glenn Miller prior to his disappearance and the wartime home of 51OTU. Now the home of a music festival and museum displays. Clapham, Bedfordshire.
Wellington Aviation Museum
- A small museum reflecting the history of RAF Moreton-in-Marsh, a wartime bomber training station for the Vickers Wellington. Includes images and memories.
Winchester's Military Museums
- Profiles six museums: The King's Royal Hussars, The Royal Hampshire Regiment, The Light Infantry, The Royal Green Jackets, The Gurkhas, and The Adjutant General's Corps. Provides opening times, a calendar of events, school programs, photos, and locations.
Yorkshire Air Museum
- Depicts aviation from its earliest days through World War II, the Halifax rebuild and post war jets. Includes details of collections, events, hours, admission rates and directions. Located at Elvington Airfield, near York.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 3, 2014 at 8:15:07 UTC -