become an editor
the entire directory
only in Europe/United_Kingdom
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Arts and Entertainment: Museums
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: England: Arts and Entertainment: Museums
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Government: Culture, Media and Sport: National Museums
Allhallows Museum of Lace and Local Antiquities
- Provides artifacts of the area and a collection of lace, located in Honiton.
- Contains the 4,000 years old Beaker burial found near Chilbolton, and includes pottery, a copper dagger, shale beads and two pairs of gold earrings and other exhibits.
The Anson Engine Museum
- A collection of engines in running order ranging from very early Crossley gas engines through modern diesels covering the entire life of the internal combustion engine located on the site of the old Anson Colliery at Poynton, near Stockport, Cheshire.
Apedale Hertiage Centre
- Created at the site of Staffordshire's Apedale Mine, offering an underground mine experience, with informative museum, café and gift shop.
- Located in the Cemetery Chapel, Ash Cemetery, in Ash, and includes displays and artifacts.
Astley Green Colliery Museum
- Industrial museum looking at the history of coal mining in Lancashire dating from 1907 to 1970.
Avoncroft - Museum of Historic Buildings
- Includes a brief history, opening times, a diary of special events, details of educational and school trip provision, and information about volunteer work at the museum.
- The history of Alnwick and District located in the former St. Mary's Church, dating from 1836 with displays and exhibits.
Bath Postal Museum
- Visitor and membership information, postal history timeline, exhibit guide, school activities overview, and shop. Bath, England.
Beccles and District Museum
- Housed in the old Sir John Leman School in Ballygate. Includes virtual tour, photos, staff, history of the building, clockmakers and hours.
- The Museum of Early Medieval Northumbria at Jarrow. Looks at the life and times of the Venerable Bede (AD 673-735,) one of the greatest scholars of the Early Middle Ages.
- Museum presenting the history of the town of Biddulph, Staffordshire.
Bill Douglas Cinema Museum
- A resource for the historical study of cinema and popular culture at the University of Exeter. Presenting 60,000 items available for academic research.
Bristol Museums, Galleries & Archives
- The location and opening hours for its six museums and historic sites with details of their collections and exhibitions.
British Lawnmower Museum
- Houses over 200 vintage lawnmowers. Includes photos from exhibits, a staff directory, services provided, special exhibits, and a gift shop. Located in Lancashire, UK.
- Dedicated to the history of chocolate and the Cadbury family of Birmingham.
- Museum for the borough of Runnymede documenting and illustrating life there from prehistory to the present.
China Clay Country Park
- Facilities include an interactive visitor centre, nature trails complete with children’s woodland play area and adventure course, and a unique view of a modern China Clay pit at work with monitor jets and giant machinery.
- Local history.
- Local history facility housed in former 15th century rectory farmhouse.
- Collection of local history and landscape.
The Cumberland Pencil Museum
- Journey through the history of pencils and pencil making.
- Displays include prehistoric tools, Roman pottery reconstruction, Saxon burials, and the Gallery of Childhood packed with toys, children's books and dolls dating back to the 18th century.
DEWA Roman Experience
- Explore Roman, Saxon and Medieval remains buried beneath Chester and participate in hands-on activities. Includes virtual tour, opening times, prices, educational programs and directions.
Eden Valley Museum
- Centre of learning and research into the history of the area and its people, with meeting rooms to hire. Pictures from the museum.
- Local history center about the Isle of Ely and the Fens. Lists events, hours, admission fees, educational resources for teachers, and details of facilities.
The Falstaffs Experience
- Displays of the local history, including haunting and superstition.
The Friends of the Falconer Museum
- A museum of local heritage in the town of Forres in the North of Scotland.
Galleries Of Justice Museum
- Two and one-half centuries of crime and punishment, justice and jurisprudence at this museum in Nottingham.
- Community-based museum in Grantown-on-Spey presenting the heritage and culture of the region from 1765 to the present. Includes services, calendar of events, and membership form. Located in Morayshire, UK.
Green's Windmill and Science Centre
- Early 18th century mill in Nottinghamshire. Information on other museums and heritage sites in city of Nottingham.
Haxted Watermill Museum and Restaurant
- A working watermill and museum of mill machinery with emphasis on the history, development and uses of water power. Lists wind and watermills across Sussex and Surrey.
The Heritage Centre - Bellingham
- Preserves and displays the heritage of the Upper North Tyne and Redewater area of Northumberland, England that includes relics and photographs of all aspects of local history and tradition.
- Local history.
Ilford Hospital Chapel
- The Friends of The Hospital Chapel Ilford Essex are dedicated to preserving this historic 12th century hospice for future generations.
International Slavery Museum
- Explores both the historical and contemporary aspects of slavery, addressing the many legacies of the slave trade and telling stories of bravery and rebellion amongst the enslaved people.
Ironbridge Gorge Museums
- The Shropshire site of the birth of the Industrial Revolution has been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Visitor information and a virtual tour.
- Open air heritage farm in Sandling, Kent, housing a collection of historic buildings with both static and interactive exhibitions. Includes visitor information, events and photographic gallery.
Lyme Regis Museum
- A rich local history is represented here including famous writers, events and fossil displays.
Maidstone Museum and Bentlif Art Gallery
- Local history.
- Historically preserved area in the former coal mining town of Madely.
Mill Green Museum
- Eighteenth century water mill restored to working condition, with museum which exhibits items of local history. Located in Hatfield, Herts.
Motherwell Heritage Centre
- Many pictures from the centre, which offers a multi-media exhibition providing an interactive journey through the history of Motherwell and the surrounding area.
Mountfitchet Castle and Norman Village of 1066
- A Norman motte and bailey castle and village that has been faithfully reconstructed on its original site in Essex. History, virtual tour, news and visitor information.
Museums in Surrey
- A site for those visiting or working with the museums. Includes a listing of museums, with links to their sites, the findings of a recent Access Audit and Training Audit, plus links and reference materials.
- Features the Cheshire market town's history in salt, shoe making, clothing, and its English Civil War connections.
Ragged School Museum
- Features Victorian education, history and culture of the East End, including a re-created Victorian classroom. Provides history, details of the collections and exhibitions, educational programmes and activities for children.
Reigate Priory Museum
- Changing exhibitions for both adults and children. A map showing the location.
Rhodes Arts Complex and Bishop's Stortford Museum
- Scheduled to reopen in 2005 and will focus on the town's local history and links with the story of Cecil Rhodes, Empire and Africa. Located in Hertfordshire.
Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum
- Showcasing the medieval Cathederal town of Salisbury and ancient wonders of Stone Henge.
The Scales Museum
- A private museum with a collection of English scales, weights and measures plus rural and farming tools used through the ages. Located near Gloucester.
- Local museum concentrating on the lower Axe Valley and including the adjacent villages of Beer, Axmouth, Branscombe, Colyton and Colyford. Details of opening times, location and exhibits.
- Profile and history with information on the collection, news, events, and a tour of the museum based in Sherborne, Dorset.
Shropshire Museum Service
- Service offers advice to developing attractions and local initiatives in the museum community. Operate from three sites: Acton Scott Historic Working Farm, Ludlow Museum and Much Wenlock Museum.
The Southwold Museum
- A museum dedicated to the local and natural history of Southwold. The collection includes archaeological finds, paintings, photographs, models and wildlife.
St Albans Museums
- Collections and services including the Roman Verulamium Museum, 3rd largest city in Roman Britain and Museum of St Albans with new exhibitions every few months.
St Barbe Museum and Art Gallery
- Colourful and interactive displays on the history and culture of Lymington and the New Forest area.
- The local history of the town.
- Celebrating the history of the local area, Bramber and Beeding and surrounding parishes in Sussex. Includes news, descriptions and photos of the exhibits, hours, a small library and gift shop details. Located in Steyning, West Sussex.
- One of the oldest buildings in Norwich, this museum exhibits the social history of Britain through collections representing domestic life, costumes and textiles, dolls and toys, and children's books.
- Focuses on the social history of the town and surrounding villages. Includes details of exhibits, Friends of the Museum information, genealogy and research records, a photo gallery, hours and admissions. Located in Norfolk.
Swaledale Folk Museum
- Interprets the cultural history of Swaledale and Arkengarthdale through their farming and lead mining tools, their pastimes and the impact of the lead mines upon their lives.
Thornbury and District Museum
- Exhibits objects and archives connected with the local area. Includes events, details of the Friends of the Museum group, hours, and directions.
The Tiverton Museum of Mid Devon Life
- Houses one of the largest social history collections in Southwest England, including agriculture, industry and transport.
The Tolpuddle Martyrs Museum
- Tells the tale of six labourers' arrest, trial and deportation for unionising, leading to the foundation of modern trade unionism.
Tom Brown's School Museum
- Housed in a 380 year-old schoolroom featured in "Tom Brown's School Days" published in 1857, and includes displays of local history, archaeology, and archives of the surrounding villages.
True's Yard - Fishing Heritage Museum
- Features traditional fishing quarter in King's Lynn, Norfolk, and includes educational services, history and directions.
Twyford Waterworks Trust
- An Edwardian pumping station in Hampshire.
Vale and Downland Museum
- Includes galleries, friends, local history, newspaper, book shop, coffee shop, opening hours and contact information.
The Wandle Industrial Museum
- Preserving the history of the Wandle river. Background information on the museum, visitors' information, archive and news are provided.
Westonzoyland Pumping Station Museum
- Museum of stationary steam engines and land drainage history of the Somerset Levels, at the county's oldest surviving pumping station. Includes details of location, opening times, exhibited engines and how to support their work.
Whimple History Society
- A Heritage Center run by volunteers committed to researching and recording information about the village, its people, customs, traditions, skills and trades.
- The last 200 years in Basingstoke.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 24, 2016 at 3:15:10 UTC -