become an editor
the entire directory
only in OpenStreetMap/News_and_Media
News and Media
The Guardian: Why the world needs OpenStreetMap
- Article by Serge Wroclawski, explaining that as more private companies offer maps, an open source solution that anyone can edit is still needed. (January 14, 2014)
New Scientist: Citizen Cartographers Fill the Gaps in Maps
- Article explaining how OpenStreetMap volunteers have brought free, much-needed collaborative maps to far-flung developing areas. (July 03, 2013)
The Independent: Are Mapbox and OpenStreetMap's Personalised Maps the Future of Cartography?
- Article by Sarah Shearman, explaining how people are creating their own maps and databases in a movement called open-source mapping. (June 26, 2013)
The Atlantic Cities: Mapping the Growth of OpenStreetMap
- Looking back over the history of the crowdsourced digital street map, a familiar pattern emerges. (March 14, 2013)
SwissInfo.ch: The Globe, Mapped by You
- Openstreetmap chairman Simon Poole is interviewed about the project to create a freely available map of the world. (March 01, 2013)
Ars Technica: OpenStreetMap: Crowd-Sourcing the World, a Street at a Time
- Article by Nate Anderson explaining how wikipedia's 'crowdsourced knowledge' model have been applied to mapping. (June 01, 2010)
BBC News: The Volunteer Mappers who Helped Haiti
- Slide-show article covering the efforts of OpenStreetMap mappers to improve the coverage of the area hit by the Haiti earthquake using donated aerial photography. (February 24, 2010)
Guardian.co.uk: Meet the Wikipedia of the mapping world
- Article by Victor Keegan, explaining how OpenStreetMap volunteers are mapping the world, with particular reference to Haiti. (February 04, 2010)
BBC News: US City to Start Giant 'Mapathon'
- Atlanta aims to become the world's most digitally mapped city with a project that will map every road, trail, bike path and tree. (October 14, 2009)
Pocket-Lint: OpenStreetMap - Crowd Sourced Cartography Set to Re-Map the World
- Dan Sung interviews OSM founder Steve Coast, who explains how the project will make maps free and satnavs much cheaper. (August 26, 2009)
Tech Crunch: OpenStreetMap Grows, Spawns Ecosystem
- Guest post by Ed Freyfogle, co-founder of property search engine Nestoria, explaining how the project has grown. (November 27, 2008)
News and Media
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 9, 2014 at 6:45:08 UTC -