become an editor
the entire directory
only in Maps/OpenStreetMap
Open Directory - Reference: Maps: OpenStreetMap
Science: Social Sciences: Geography: Geographic Information Systems: Data
This category in other languages:
- A rights-free map of the world being created by volunteers using copyright free sources and GPS tracks. Includes an interactive map and details of how to get involved.
Best of OpenStreetMap
- Site showcasing the best and most significant parts of the free world map.
Guardian.oc.uk: Meet the Wikipedia of the mapping world
- Article by Victor Keegan, explaining how OpenStreetMap volunteers are mapping the world, with particular reference to Haiti.
The Guardian: So Where Does OpenStreetMap Go Next?
- The online mapping answer to Wikipedia has achieved great things in its first five years. So what now?
- A step-by-step beginners' guide to making maps with OpenStreetMap.
- Project to map one of Africa's largest slums in Nairobi, Kenya. Includes the map, a project wiki, dicussion groups and photos.
- Project to help develop and expand OpenStreetMap in the West Midlands region of the UK. Includes an online map, error reporting tool, details of projects, blog, and how to get involved.
- Blog from Chris Hill detailing his progress with editing and using OpenStreetMap.
- An international non-profit organisation supporting the OpenStreetMap project. Includes constitution, details of meetings, finances, working groups, and a list of board members and officers.
OpenStreetMap: Using and Improving the Free World Map
- Website to accompany a German-language book about the OSM project. [Some site content in German only.]
State of the Map
- Annual conference about the progress of OpenStreetMap and free geo-data in general. Programme, registration information, and video of previous talks.
State Of The Map Europe
- Conference for OpenStreetMap users and contributors, first held in 2011. Includes venue information, schedule, recordings, and list of attendees.
Switch 2 OSM
- Advocacy site which encourages websites to switch to OSM for their online maps. Includes technical information and case studies.
- Encyclopedia article about the open mapping project, with history, details of techniques, licensing information, and usage.
SwissInfo.ch: The Globe, Mapped by You
- Openstreetmap chairman Simon Poole is interviewed about the project to create a freely available map of the world. (March 01, 2013)
MapQuest Dev Blog: MapQuest Opens Up – in the UK
- Post detailing MaoQuest's experimental use of OSM data. (July 09, 2010)
Ars Technica: OpenStreetMap: Crowd-Sourcing the World, a Street at a Time
- Article by Nate Anderson explaining how wikipedia's 'crowdsourced knowledge' model have been applied to mapping. (June 01, 2010)
BBC News: The Volunteer Mappers who Helped Haiti
- Slide-show article covering the efforts of OpenStreetMap mappers to improve the coverage of the area hit by the Haiti earthquake using donated aerial photography. (February 24, 2010)
InfoWorld: OpenStreetMap Attracts 200,000 Volunteers
- News article about the project and its recent growth. (January 06, 2010)
BBC News: US City to Start Giant 'Mapathon'
- Atlanta aims to become the world's most digitally mapped city with a project that will map every road, trail, bike path and tree. (October 14, 2009)
Pocket-Lint: OpenStreetMap - Crowd Sourced Cartography Set to Re-Map the World
- Dan Sung interviews OSM founder Steve Coast, who explains how the project will make maps free and satnavs much cheaper. (August 26, 2009)
Tech Crunch: OpenStreetMap Grows, Spawns Ecosystem
- Guest post by Ed Freyfogle, co-founder of property search engine Nestoria, explaining how the project has grown. (November 27, 2008)
" search on:
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:58:21 AM EDT -