become an editor
the entire directory
only in Intellectual_Freedom/USA_PATRIOT_Act
Library and Information Science
USA PATRIOT Act
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Politics: Issues: National Security: Homeland Security: USA PATRIOT Act
ALA - USA Patriot Act Analyses
- LibGuide for the effect of the Patriot Act on library use regarding intellectual freedom, freedom of speech, privacy and the freedom to read. From the American Library Association, Office for Intellectual Freedom.
Big John Wants Your Reading List
- Reviews the Patriot Act's rules for the FBI obtaining records from bookstores and libraries. [The Village Voice]
EPIC USA PATRIOT Act Page
- Information overview and news updates from the Electronic Privacy Information Center.
Five Technically Legal Signs for Your Library
- PATRIOT Act awareness materials from librarian.net.
Librarians Heroes in War to Save Freedom
- Commentary on "a battle to preserve Americans' freedoms." [Seattle Post-Intelligencer]
The Patriot Act and the First Amendment
- Statement of concern from the Freedom to Read Committee of the Association of American Publishers.
- Details the impact of Section 215 of the USA Patriot Act on reader privacy, and provides methods to protest to Congress plus an on-line petition.
The Readers' Rights Project
- Information and resources on the Patriot Act and library surveillance. From the Center for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics.
The USA PATRIOT Act and Patron Privacy on Library Internet Terminals
- Annotated bibliography and review of research.
No, YOU Check THIS Out: Librarians Respond To The USA PATRIOT Act
- Summary essay by Jessamyn West on librarians' response to the act. (September 09, 2004)
Why the Patriot Act Worries Booksellers
- Opinion piece by the owner of the Harvard Book Store. [The Boston Globe] (October 08, 2003)
- Comments a face-off between the American Library Association and Attorney General John Ashcroft. [New York Times Magazine] (September 28, 2003)
Librarians are on Front Lines Against Easier Access to Records
- "The public library in Boulder, the home of the University of Colorado, has adopted one of the country's most aggressive policies to keep circulation records private." [The Boston Globe] (September 08, 2003)
Online NewsHour: Libraries and Liberties
- Transcript of a report on libraries and the Patriot Act. [PBS] (June 18, 2003)
- Information article by Jessamyn West on the Patriot Act. (May 12, 2003)
Defending the Right Right to Read
- Bookstores and libraries are taking steps to protect their clients from what they say is a dangerously snooping government. [ABC News] (April 24, 2003)
Librarians Use Shredder to Show Opposition to New F.B.I. Powers
- Libraries destroy patron records to preserve privacy. [NY Times] (April 04, 2003)
Librarians as FBI Extension Agents
- Comments on the Patriot Act's Section 215. [CounterPunch] (March 05, 2003)
Library Restrictions Borrow from Colonial-Era Abuses
- Editorial comparing the colonial British suppression of media with the FBI's current powers to spy on readers. [USA Today] (March 04, 2003)
FBI's Reading List Worries Librarians
- "At New York City's Queens Borough Public Library, director Gary Strong is an uneasy draftee on the front line of the war on terrorism." [USA Today] (December 16, 2002)
Librarians Receive Advice on Law and Reader Privacy
- Report on a library teleconference about dealing with new legislation. [NY Times] (December 11, 2002)
Effects of the Patriot Act on Librarians
- Slashdot article and discussion about the gag orders for FBI library investigations. (September 20, 2002)
Library Records Post-Patriot Act
- A chart of changed legal authorities, by Law Library Resource Xchange. (September 16, 2002)
USA PATRIOT Act
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 22, 2014 at 6:35:09 UTC -