become an editor
the entire directory
only in Libraries/Independent
Reference: Libraries: Special Collections
America Library of Geneva
- A non-profit subscription library based out of Geneva, Switzerland, serving the English speaking community.
American Antiquarian Society
- Research library in Massachusetts specialising in American history and culture up to 1876. History, catalogues, online exhibits and guides to the collection.
American Library in Angers, France
- A branch of the American Library in Paris, offering activities, a newsletter, and access to the online catalog. Site in French and English.
American Library in Paris
- A private, non-profit English-language library in Paris, France since 1920. Information on membership, collections, services, and events.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- Non-profit, member-supported library founded in 1814 to collect materials "connected with the history and antiquities of America, and the useful arts, and generally to disseminate useful knowledge"; online catalog, exhibit information, and grant applications available.
The Birmingham & Midland Institute Library
- Book collection dating from 1799 and music library. Events, membership and location map.
Chawton House Library & Study Centre
- Centre for the Study of Early English Women's Writing, 1600-1830, in Jane Austen's former home. Online texts, history and access.
- Founded in 1653 in Manchester, England and open free of charge. History, list of manuscripts and online catalogue.
Denver Zine Library
- Publicly accessible collection of over 3,000 zines. Includes events schedule, online catalog, or directions.
- A privately funded library open to the public, and sponsoring year round reading programs, special events, and guest speakers.
The Folger Shakespeare Library
- Administered by the trustees of Amherst College, the Folger was a gift to the American people from Henry Clay Folger and his wife Emily Jordan Folger in 1932. Includes news on library projects and background information.
The Indian and Colonial Research Center
- Research library specializing in Colonial and Native American history.
J.R. Ritman Library - Bibliotheca Philosophica Hermetica
- Features a large collection of works in the Hermetic-Christian tradition. Information on exhibitions and scholarly conferences. Online articles and visiting details.
- Introduces a Tibetan culture library featuring in excess of 10,000 books as well as additional 10,000 journals, newspapers, and magazines.
Library of the Boston Athenaeum
- A membership and research library with special collections in Boston history, New England state and local history, biography, English and American history, literature, and arts.
The Linen Hall Library
- Subscription library with unique collections of books, manuscripts, pamphlets, genealogical sources, graphic images and ephemera for Irish and local studies.
The Literary and Philosophical Society of Newcastle upon Tyne
- History and photographs of this subscription library offering books, magazines and CDs. Programme of free events and children's page.
The London Library
- Scholarly subscription library in central London collecting principally in the humanities. History, collections, membership information and online catalogue.
- The earliest public library in Ireland, built in 1701, with contemporary religious and scientific collections. Online catalogue.
Mechanics' Institute Library
- The Mechanics' Institute Library is a general interest membership library and chess club located at 57 Post Street in San Francisco's business district.
Mercantile Library of New York
- Subscription library dedicated to the promotion of literature. Membership information, facilities and programs.
The New York Society Library
- Subscription library with public access to the reading and reference rooms only; members may borrow books. Information for members and the general public.
- Independent research library with a focus on the humanities is privately funded, but free and open to the public.
The Portico Library and Gallery
- A UK subscription library from Manchester featuring 19th century literature, local school exhibits, artist submissions, and gallery.
Providence Athenaeum (Rhode Island)
- An independent membership library; provides a collection of books and other materials to all who love reading, appreciate literature, and enjoy cultural discovery.
Village Learning Place
- A non-profit community-based library, learning center, educational garden, and technology center serving diverse populations in Baltimore, Maryland (US).
The Wellcome Library for the History and Understanding of Medicine
- Research library in London, open to the public free of charge. Catalogues of books, archives and images.
Whitby Literary & Philosophical Society Library & Archive
- History and description of the local history, maritime and geological collections of this English learned society.
The Wiener Library
- Modern Jewish history collection in London with special reference to Nazism and antisemitism. Events, facilities and history of the library.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 23, 2014 at 13:05:06 UTC -