become an editor
the entire directory
only in Organizations/Literacy
Society: Issues: Education: Literacy
Alabama Reading Association
- Events, projects, newsletter, pictures, and membership and contact details.
Canadian Organization for Development through Education (CODE)
- Promoting self-sufficiency through literacy in the developing world.
The Center for Literacy Studies
- Provides research and professional development services that strengthen adult literacy education thru local, regional, national, and international efforts. News, events, statistics, resources and research.
Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement
- Resources pertaining to early literacy, including Power Point presentations, hot lists for reading teachers and tutors, and a searchable database.
Centre for Family Literacy
- Located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The Centre offers a variety of family and adult literacy programs.
Delaware Valley Reading Association
- A local council of the International Reading Association, DVRA provides professional development and additional leadership in promoting literacy in the Delaware Valley of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- U.S. nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide disadvantaged children with new books.
Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) Hawai`i
- A US federal program with a mission to significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. News and events, participating schools, tutor recruiting details, and contact information.
Global Literacy Project, Inc.
- A non-profit organization which collects and ships donated books to Africa and the Caribbean where they are used to create libraries in rural schools and communities. Community literacy projects are also established. List of programs and related links.
Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council
- Nonprofit agency that provides reading, writing, math, English language, and computer skills to adults and out of school young adults.
Indiana Literacy Foundation
- A non-profit organization which works with and through volunteer literacy programs across Indiana. List of programs and related links.
International Reading Association
- Seeks to improve quality of reading instruction through studying the reading processes and teaching techniques; serving as a clearinghouse for the dissemination of reading research.
Kenosha Literacy Council
- Nonprofit agency in Kenosha, Wisconsin dedicated to providing English literacy education to adults with the assistance of trained volunteers.
- Kingston Literacy furthers the development and growth of adult and family literacy in Kingston and neighbouring communities. We also create and market literacy resources.
The Literacy Council
- Devoted to strengthening and supporting organizations that provide literacy services in Central Alabama. Located in Birmingham.
Literacy Empowerment Foundation
- Distribution of free and reduced cost books to schools, literacy groups and distance learners.
- Provides literacy training and resources for school and home for preschool through grade 6, and special needs. Based in Cheshire, UK.
MonteToyon Learning Center and Reading Connections
- Santa Cruz, California, based learning center specializing in training students and teachers in the Phono-Graphix reading method. Also provides instruction in math and writing.
National Children's Literacy Project (NCLP)
- A not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing the literacy skills of children; promoting literacy as an integral factor in the growth of society and in an individual's ability to lead a productive and fulfilling life.
The National Literacy Trust
- British nonprofit devoted to promoting literacy and literacy educators. Issues, statistics, research, events, publications, resources, other related organizations, discussion boards, and contact details.
- Reading Excellence and Discovery Foundation's mission is to enable at-risk children to achieve grade level reading proficiency, by using empirically supported educational methods.
San Jose Area Writing Project
- Dedicated to improving the teaching of writing in kindergarten through high school classrooms. News and details about past and future events, registration information for those events, and contact and project information.
- A non-profit organization dedicated to improving children's literacy. Background of the group, newsletter, activities and events, and contribution details. In English and in French.
Student Coalition for Action in Literacy Education
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill based network of college students, adult learners, administrators, literacy practitioners and community partners to implement and support participatory education and social change work in campus-based literacy programs.
Western New York Professional Development Consortium
- Providing staff development to teachers and practitioners in the field of Adult Literacy and Education. This site lists resources, workshops, and conferences covering NY State Education initiatives, GED 2002, workforce development themes, and proactive adult education topics.
Working in the Schools (WITS)
- Tutoring and mentoring program involving community members and area businesses providing volunteers to support the education of children in the Chicago Public Schools.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 14, 2014 at 2:35:03 UTC -