become an editor
the entire directory
only in E/English
Arts: Education: Language Arts: English: English as a Second Language
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics: Languages: Natural: Indo-European: Germanic: English
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics: Languages: Natural: Indo-European: Germanic: English: British vs American Dialects
This category in other languages:
- Free searchable dictionary and thesaurus, word games, a word of the day, and many other English language and vocabulary reference tools and resources.
- Dictionary by Oxford University Press. Answers questions on English grammar, spelling, and usage. Basic dictionary is free, premium content with subscription.
- Features two modern English dictionaries, multilingual search, and translation. Also features a guide to language sites on the web and a language discussion forum.
The Beet Foundation
- General purpose online English language dictionary and Thesaurus.
- Free online dictionary from Cambridge University Press.
The Century Dictionary Online
- Free 500,000 word dictionary of English with an encyclopedia and world atlas. Contains headword lookup and a full text search of 22 million words of text.
- Free edition of a complete Webster dictionary. Fully crosslinked. Includes sound.
- Find definitions by alphabetical browsing or word lookup. Powered by several print dictionaries.
- Search or browse thousands of definitions
DICT Development Group
- A WWW interface to several freely available on-line dictionaries, including Webster's 1913, the Jargon File, the US Gazetteer, and Easton's Bible Dictionary.
- A dictionary database of word and phrase definitions from eight different sources.
- Provides the origins and meanings of Elizabethan words and vocabulary including obscure Shakespearean expressions.
English Dictionary - Definr.com
- English dictionary contains 150,000 entries.
Examining the Oxford English Dictionary
- A scholarly analysis of the Oxford English Dictionary by Dr Charlotte Brewer, Hertford College, Oxford.
- Based on the WordNet lexical database and thesaurus, this dictionary covers only a selection of the most frequent English words. Includes synonyms, antonyms, examples and pronunciation, and links between related words.
- Includes a thesaurus and searchable dictionaries for English, computers, dreams and medicine.
Hypertext Webster Gateway
- Provides access to multiple English dictionaries.
Information Please Dictionary
- Infoplease's free online dictionary. Features almanacs, an encyclopedia, and an atlas.
Internet Terms Dictionary
- Internet Terms Dictionary contains over 500,000 terms.
The Jargon Database
- A repository of popular neologisms, management speak, and technical terms relevant to various regions, jobs, and cultures, and organized by categories.
Lexipedia Visual Word Web
- Visual dictionary. Includes definitions and examples of sentence use.
- One can search many bilingual texts in English and German for words and expressions.
Longman Dictionary Of Contemporary English
- Searchable dictionary of contemporary English.
Macmillan English Dictionaries
- Resource site for the Macmillan range of dictionaries.
- An online dictionary originally based on WordNet, contains extensive cross-references, hierarchical links, and a complete listing of inflections.
Middle English Dictionary
- A concise dictionary of middle English. Time period is from A.D. 1150 to 1580.
- Mnemonic Dictionary is a resource which provides memory aids for each word.
The Newbury House Online Dictionary
- Search over 40,000 entries to get clear concise definitions and when available related pictures.
- A free searchable on-line dictionary.
- Contains a database of words, terms, names, and acronyms.
Online Dictionary - Die.net
- Cross-referenced definitions, spelling correction, and searches from WordNet and Webster's.
Online Dictionary of Language Terminology
- Explains key language terms such as: nouns, verbs, aspects, and tenses. Provides usage and grammar guidance.
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
- Allows users to search, free of charge, for entries in the latest (year 2000) edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
- A simple dictionary that illustrates several thousand common nouns and concepts with photographs.
Plan of an English Dictionary (1747)
- Letter written by Samuel Johnson to the Earl of Chesterfield setting out his plan for an English Dictionary.
- A dictionary of words and phrases on the verge of extinction.
- An English dictionary which suggests words as one types. Helps explore new words and meanings.
- Searchable dictionary of the English language, with standard, reverse and phonetic lookup. Also links to a range of other language resources.
- Searchable English language dictionary shows results in synonym sets.
- The Vocabulary.com Dictionary uses predictive technology to zero in on just the right word as you type. It is enriched by engaging content explaining the meaning and usage of thousands of vocabulary items.
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary of 1913
- Forms version. Allows browsing headwords.
- English language Wiki dictionary from the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Student dictionary and rhyming dictionary online at Merriam-Webster's website. Daily Buzzword by subscription.
Word Information Dictionary
- A dictionary of English words derived from Latin and Greek Sources. Ability to find the Latin and Greek origins or etymologies.
- Site dedicated to recently coined words and existing words revived into modern usage.
- Searchable definitions available in a variety of dictionaries including Webster's, a legal dictionary, a dream dictionary, and an encyclopedia.
- Definitions, example sentences and pronunciations for millions of English-language words, and user-contributed comments and word lists.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 2, 2014 at 23:03:40 UTC -