become an editor
the entire directory
only in Dictionaries/Etymology
Home: Family: Pregnancy: Baby Names
Science: Social Sciences: Geography: Place Names
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics
- Online database version of the Altaic Etymological Dictionary by S. Starostin, A. Dybo and O. Mudrak.
American Dialect Society
- A scholarly association dedicated to the study of the English language in North America.
Clichés and Expressions Origins
- English language terms and expressions.
A Comparative Dictionary of Indo-Aryan Languages
- Online version of the indexes of R.L. Turner's 1962-1985 dictionary from the Digital Dictionaries of South Asia.
Dave Wilton's Etymology Page
- Devoted to etymology of common words and slang phrases.
- A list of some curious word origins.
- Word origins and links.
Exploring English Words
- Exploring English words that are derived from Latin and Greek sources with etymologies and vocabulary activities.
- Erudite blog on word origins and definitions, with dozens of links to dictionaries, commentaries, linguistic reference sites, and personal favorites of the author.
- The game of grammar, semantics, and etymology. Play online the game that investigates the history and meaning of English words.
Online Etymology Dictionary
- History and evolution of more than 30,000 words, including slang and technical terms.
Pandora's Word Box
- Relates medical terminology to the humanities, offering a weekly overview with references to classical etymology.
The Phrase Finder
- The meanings and origins of thousands of English phrases and sayings. Also includes a discussion forum to ask a panel questions on the meaning and origin of phrases.
- A reference for Greek, Latin, and other roots of the English language to help you better understand English, improve your vocabulary, score better on tests, and create new words such as for brand names. Also has free online vocabulary games.
Richard Lederer's Verbivore
- Linguistic fun from, Richard Lederer, the best-selling author of The Word Circus and the new Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay, a helpful guide for grappling with vexing grammar questions.
Roots of English
- An etymological dictionary you can download by Prof. Eugene Cotter, Seton Hall University.
Sayings and Everyday Expressions
- Your online source for the sayings and expressions you use everyday. Search for their meaning, history and origin, find sayings, expressions, phrases, quotations, cliches, unusual words, and wordplay.
Take Our Word for It
- Weekly etymology magazine.
Word and Phrase Origins
- Directory. Part of the Internet Public Library. Describes books and web sites that might be helpful. Offers a hint on how to use an ordinary search engine when looking for etymology.
The Word Detective
- Words and language in a humorous vein. The online version of The Word Detective, a newspaper column answering readers' questions about words and language. Written by Evan Morris.
Word Quests for Word Seekers
- Searchable dictionary of word origins, organized in cross-referenced thematic lists by Latin and/or Greek roots. English entries are also defined.
- Collection of recently coined words, existing words that have enjoyed a recent Renaissance, and older words that are now being used in new ways.
Words with Heathen Origins in the Scriptures
- An etymological study of numerous words used in churches and Scriptures that have their origin in pagan religions.
World Wide Words
- Michael Quinion writes about International English from a British viewpoint. Hundreds of pages on the history, origins, evolution and idiosyncrasies of English, with features on new words and words in the news.
- Includes a searchable database of Latin and Greek roots and affixes, a free newsletter, and links to other sites.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: September 22, 2015 at 13:00:38 UTC -