become an editor
the entire directory
only in Food/History
This category in other languages:
The 10 Greatest Hits in American Fast Food History | Photo Gallery
- Images and short histories of Americans’ ten favorite fast foods.
The A - Z of Exotic Foods
- A dictionary of herbs, spices, and foods giving their historical, magical and medicinal qualities.
- A science center dealing with topics such as food, nutrition, agriculture, with a historical approach on a worldwide scale.
Antique Roman Dishes- Collection
- Native Roman Ingredients and conversions, as well as recipes.
- First-person history of the fast-casual chain, from its founding to its acquisition by W.R. Grace.
Army Subsistence History
- History of the food, food services and cooks in the U.S. Army dating back to the Civil War. Information provided by the Quartermaster Foundation.
The Burgoo Page
- Burgoo history and information. What is it? Where to get it? Who eats it?
A Chaucerian Cookery
- An examination of the foods found in the writings of the English poet Geoffrey Chaucer. Included is A Chaucerian Feast, which contains recipes and instructions for presenting a feast based on Chaucer.
- Author of transcription/redaction of several fifteenth century European cookbooks. Food links.
Culinary Events Calendar
- A calendar of food-related historical events, anniversaries and discoveries. Overview of the month and day by day listings.
Did You Bring Bottles?
- A tour of American supermarket history and architecture from the 1920s through today. Historical photographs, maps, area histories.
The English Breakfast Society
- Dedicated to the history and heritage of the traditional English breakfast.
Food History Jottings
- Blog of a historian of (mainly British and Italian) food culture, written by a professional chef and confectioner. Excellent historical images.
Food History News
- A Web site for the quarterly publication Food History News, a newsletter dedicated to the history of food in North America (and occasionally elsewhere).
The Food Museum
- Educational museum about everyone's favorite subject, food. All about potatoes, rice, figs. Programs and curriculum for schools.
Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research
- The official journal of the Association for the Study of Food and Society (ASFS).
- Food history publications by Patricia B. Mitchell. Documented anecdotal and written American traditions: colonial, Victorian, Civil War, ethnic, and Southern regional.
The Gallery of Regrettable Food
- Humorous articles satirizing cookbooks and food ads from the '30s through the '60s, including Meat! Meat! Meat! and The Unbearable Sadness of Vegetables.
Glossary : Prospect Books
- An exhaustive glossary of cookery terminology from transcripts of English cookery texts of the17th and 18th centuries.
The History Kitchen: History
- A blog devoted to stories behind the food we eat. Mostly but not wholly American and Jewish food. Written by a culinary anthropologist, food writer, and recipe developer.
The History of Baby Feeding
- Photographs and drawings of bottles and feeding utensils, descriptions of their use and their place and impact in society.
History of Greek Food
- Greek culinary history and food stories.
IEHCA -- Food and History
- The official journal of the European Institute for the History and Culture of Food (IEHCA).
Ken Albala's Food Rant
- A food historian's blog in which he comments on and tries recipes, old and new, from across the globe.
LacusCurtius • Apicius — De Re Coquinaria
- An excellent, annotated English translation of the classic Roman cookbook "De Re Coquinaria," attributed to Apicius.
Leite's Culinaria, Inc: Dining Through the Decades
- A detailed recap of the food, trends and chefs of the 20th century. Recipes included.
liquor is quicker
- A food scientist's blog about the history of drink (and drinks) in America.
McSweeney's: Lucky Peach
- An alternative quarterly journal of food writing, art, and recipes.
- Recipes, information, and notes about cooking in medieval Europe.
Medieval/Renaissance Food Homepage
- Articles, recipes, and summaries of books about Renaissance and Medieval cooking.
A More Recent History of the Ice Cream Cone
- IceCreamJunkies.Com is a website with news on the latest history of the ice cream cone, as well as old-fashioned recipes and trivia on the dessert.
Not by Bread Alone: America's Culinary Heritage
- An exhibit from the Cornell University Library. Includes information on early cookery books, food nutrition and science, kitchen technology, and food processing.
The Potato Museum
- The online site for the non-profit Potato Museum celebrates the potato and provides information for educators.
- A short history of the potato with recipes, cultivation instructions, safety notes, a wine recipe, links and a bulletin board
- A food historian's commentary on current culinary events and their historical significance.
Renaissance and Medieval Food and Drink
- An annotated bibliography of historical sites on the WWW about European food and drink during the Renaissance and Middle Ages.
The Stewpot Period Culinary Guild
- An unofficial guild dedicated to the practice and promotion of pre-seventeenth century cookery in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
- Chronology, origin and genealogy of sushi in Japan are concisely overviewed by a table and chart.
Symbolism of the Pineapple
- A brief history of how the pineapple has served as both a food and a symbol throughout the human history of the Americas.
Tips on Tables
- Vintage reviews of famous nightclubs and restaurants, mostly from the New York City area, viewed here for the first time since they were published in the 1940s and 50s.
University of Houston Digital Library: 1850-1860's Hotel and Restaurant Menu Collection images
- Digitized menus from the mid-1800s.
When did it Happen?
- Restaurant franchise timeline from 1916 to 1999, compiled by Dacy Nottingham. Includes links to franchise sites.
Lunch Hour NYC | The New York Public Library
- An exhibition at the NY Public Library all about the history of the fast-paced NY lunch. (October 05, 2012)
Usenet rec.food.historic -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 23, 2014 at 5:15:07 UTC -