become an editor
the entire directory
only in Issues/First_Amendment
Regional: North America: United States: Government: Documents: Freedom of Information Act
Regional: North America: United States: Government: Law: Constitution: Bill of Rights: 1st Amendment
Society: Issues: Human Rights and Liberties: Free Speech
Society: Issues: Human Rights and Liberties: Freedom of the Press
Society: Issues: Human Rights and Liberties: Privacy
The Brechner Center for Freedom of Information
- Answers queries about media law from journalists, attorneys, and other members of the public. The Center is prepared to explain issues relating to media law, react to current developments, offer speakers for meetings and classes, and assist in research about media law.
Can We Tape?
- State-by-state guide to the laws governing recording conversations over the telephone, cellular and cordless phones, hidden cameras, obtaining consent, possession and publication of illegal tapes, and interstate calls.
- The Official Freedom of Information Act web site of the US Central Intelligence Agency. Provides the public with an overview of access to CIA information, including electronic access to previously released documents.
Citizen's Guide on Using the Freedom of Information Act
- A report by the House Government Reform Committee, H.Rep. 108-172, June 23, 2002
Copley First Amendment Center
- Site sponsored by the Illinois Press Association includes news and court decisions on First Amendment issues and educational information on rights.
DOJ: Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- Explains how the FOIA applies to the US Dept. of Justice and how information may be obtained.
FBI - Freedom of Information Act
- Explains the document search process and provides an online reading room for frequently requested files.
The First Amendment and Freedom of the Press
- Essay by James C. Goodale on court cases in which First Amendment rights have been upheld, allowing the press to pursue its mission. Goodale served as general counsel to The New York Times when the U.S. Supreme Court decided that the Times could continue to publish the then-classified Pentagon Papers.
First Amendment Center
- Offers one-stop access to information about the First Amendment. Useful for students, teachers, journalists, lawyers and the general public.
First Amendment Foundation
- Non-profit organization which seeks to provide authoritative information, expertise, and assistance to the public and news media. Site provides directory of services and membership information.
- FOIA consultants who assist in crafting and executing FOIA requests.
Freedom of Information Act
- Issues, laws, links, and other resources to help journalists get information from state and national governments.
The Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552, As Amended By Public Law No. 104-231, 110 Stst. 3048
- The full text of the Freedom of Information Act in a form showing all amendments to the statute made by the "Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 1996."
HHS - Freedom of Information Act
- US Health and Human Services site to facilitate efforts to obtain public information about HHS programs. How to request information, and a reading room of frequently requested documents.
Media Law Resource Center
- Includes annotated bibliography of legal cases, scholarly papers, and articles concerning First Amendment and intellectual property Internet law issues. The 200 court cases are explained succinctly. Also includes many citations from the print media.
RCFP First Amendment Handbook
- Includes a fount of information on the application of the First Amendment to such issues as access to the courts, gag orders, access to places, freedom of information and libel. Published by the Reporter's Committee for Freedom of the Press.
U.S. Department of State FOIA Electronic Reading Room
- Displays (a) frequently requested documents released under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), (b) special collections of continuing public interest, and (c) regulations, policy statements, administrative rulings and manuals, and other reference materials.
- Collaborative wiki providing news and information about transparency in state government including freedom of information, sunshine laws, open meetings and litigation.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 14, 2015 at 20:49:53 UTC -