become an editor
the entire directory
only in Plants/Propagation
Science: Agriculture: Horticulture: Propagation and Nursery Practice
Shopping: Home and Garden: Plants: Seeds
Alpines From Seed
- Alpine plant enthusiast gives tips on raising bulbs and alpines from seed, including a section on gibberellic acid.
Australian National Botanic Gardens - Growing ferns from spores
- Description of collecting and sowing spores, potting the fonds and includes a drawing of the fern life cycle.
Australian National Botanic Gardens - How to Propagate Australian Plants
- Describes the collection and germinations of seeds, propagation by cuttings, safe use of growth hormones and a growing plants glossary with drawings.
Gardenweb: Growing from Seed
- Forum for discussion of seed-starting topics by gardeners of all experience levels. Particularly active in winter and spring. FAQ includes many tips from home gardeners on variety of topics.
GardenWeb: Winter Sowing
- A forum for discussing all aspects of winter-sowing, the planting of seeds in containers outdoors in winter, for germination in spring. The FAQ includes a detailed explanation of the method.
Germination Database - Seeds
- Provides a listing of plant names and the methods to germinate the seed.
Gibberellic Acid for Fruit Set and Seed Germination
- Gibberellins are potent growth hormones sometimes used to induce germination in recalcitrant seeds. This article by John M. Riley discusses uses and provides some basic recipes.
Gibberellic Acid-3 Information Kit
- Background information on using the plant hormone to induce germination, with instructions for two methods, as well as safety information. Also sells kits for the home gardener.
Grow a Pine Tree From Seed
- Detailed instructions on the entire process from seed collection and viability testing to sowing and maintenance the seedlings. Primary focus is on Coulter pine.
Harry Lawson, Chrysanthemum Raiser
- Features books, breeding tips, photo gallery, and information on pests and diseases.
How to Germinate Seed
- Bonsai enthusiast Brent Walston explains the fundamentals of germinating woody species, emphasizing the requirement to break down germination inhibitors.
Jelitto Germination Tips and Tricks
- Provides insight on germinating seeds.
- Provides instructions on how to reproduce plants including amaryllis, narcissus, daffodils, lilies (by bulb section, scales and seed) and perennials, house plants, roses, vines, trees and shrubs (by root, stem and leaf cuttings).
NC State University - Leaf, Cane and Root Cuttings
- Provides descriptions with drawings of leaf with petiole, leaf without petiole, split vein leaf, leaf bud, cane and root cuttings.
NC State University - Stem Cutting
- Home gardener instructions for plant propagation by stem cuttings including a table of evergreen plants and deciduous trees by common name and type of cutting.
- Information and measured plants for constructing a coop-style Nearing frame for propagating woody plants from cuttings.
Ontario Rock Garden Society
- The germination guide on this society's site lists requirements for a large number of plants (not just alpines), down to species level.
Orchid Reserve, El Pahuma - Orchids
- Describes techniques employed for raising orchids from seedlings and includes a link to download Orchid Propagation Manual.
- Demonstrates the basics of plant propagation using stem cuttings.
The Seed Site
- Harvesting, sowing, and a germination database of over 1000 plants, images of seeds, seedpods, seedlings, and botanical information.
Society for Growing Australian Plants - Native Plants
- Provides simple techniques for plant reproduction from seed, cuttings, grafting and division with particular reference to the propagation of Australian native plants and includes diagrams and photographs.
Starting Plants From Seed
- Home gardener describes his method for germinating seeds using moist filter papers and ziplock baggies. Also detailed germination information for many plant species.
The Succulent Plant Page - Succulent Plants
- Describes how to take cuttings, make divisions, take offsets and various methods of grafting.
Texas A&M University - Mutated Plant Propagation
- Describes the origin, development and propagation of chimeras which includes such plants as variegated plants, thornless blackberries and peaches without fuzz.
Tom Clothier's Garden Walk and Talk
- Most extensive online resource for seed germination information for specific plant species, including indexes for annuals/biennials, perennials, and shrubs/trees. Also general information on seed-starting techniques.
University of Missouri - House Plants
- Describes various methods of cuttings, division and layering techniques (with pictures) and a chart of propagation techniques listed by common plant name.
- Winter sowing is a method of starting hardy seedlings outside during winter. This site, constructed by one of the method's gurus, documents which seeds are amenable and how to go about it.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: September 22, 2013 at 6:24:04 UTC -