become an editor
the entire directory
only in Gardening/History
Open Directory - Home: Gardening: History
Gardeners and Designers
Histories of Famous Gardens
Journals and Magazines
UK Gardening History
Home: Gardening: Gardens: Religious
Science: Agriculture: History
Australian Garden History Society
- Organisation of people with an interest in the various aspects of garden history - including horticulture, landscape design and architecture. Journal and garden events summary.
Bonsai and Related Arts Timeline
- A comprehensive timeline showing how the various elements of miniature landscapes were brought together and continued to develop in China, Japan, and elsewhere in the world.
Canoe Plants of Ancient Hawaii
- Guide to the plants carried by early Polynesian voyagers in their canoes - history and traditional uses for each of two dozen plants.
Cultivating Canadian Gardens
- Tells the story of the development of gardening in Canada by indigenous peoples and settlers, through the books, periodicals, and printed materials collected by the National Library of Canada.
Dutch Gardens and Garden Architecture
- Information from the first chapter of a book on Dutch gardens.
Enchanted Gardens of the Renaissance
- A visual tour of three Renaissance Gardens and their relationship to the art of the period.
Fruits and Flowers of Winter
- Archive of an exhibition with items from the Mertz Library’s rare books and archival materials. Includes orangeries, hothouses and botanical drawings.
Garden History Links
- History of gardening links from Edwinna von Baeyer's Web pages.
Gardening History Timeline - From Ancient Times to 1800
- Noteworthy Publications, Persons, and Events in the History of Gardening. Including some Related Information from Agriculture, Natural History, Botany, and Ecology. By Michael P. Garofalo
Gardens of the Mughal Empire
- An interactive journey through twelve Mughal Gardens including Shalamar. You can hear music and follow in the footsteps of the ancient Mughals on a processional path from Hiran Minar to Mian Mir.
Gothein's History of Garden Art
- Complete text of the 1913 book is available online here. Detailed accounts of European gardens, added later material on North America, brief accounts of the rest of the world.
The History of Gardening Timeline
- An account of gardening from ancient times to the twentieth century organized by time periods with links to supplementary information.
The History of Gardening: A Timeline from Ancient Times to the Twentieth Century
- List of years and gardening events/people, with links to other resources.
Japanese Garden Database
- Educational web site providing information on outstanding examples of Japanese garden art.
- A categorised collection of images and photographs of gardens and landscapes in a number of designs.
Museum of Garden History
- Located at the restored church of St Mary-at-Lambeth in London, the museum offers activities and lectures. The churchyard includes a recreation of a historic knot garden.
Our Vegetable Travelers
- A history of garden vegetables, originally published in National Geographic (1949).
Parcs à fabriques - French Anglo-Chinese gardens
- Account of some of the major French gardens made in the style known in France as Anglo-Chinese, and in England as English landscape.
Parks and Gardens UK
- Database of historic parks, gardens, and designed green spaces of the United Kingdom, with descriptions and historical information.
Spirit of Gardening
- Quotes, proverbs, articles, history, humor, links, and resources for the gardener.
Timothy Mowl: Garden and Architectural History
- Architectural historian presents his series of county guides to the historic landscapes and gardens of England, biographies, and other studies.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, September 13, 2013 10:07:09 PM EDT -