become an editor
the entire directory
only in World_Cuisines/Historic
Open Directory - Home: Cooking: World Cuisines: Historic
Recreation: Food: History
- Weblog exploring the cuisine and culture of Nouvelle France at the time of the French and Indian wars. Includes recipes and other articles.
Ancient Egyptian Recipes
- Handful of recipes including Honey Omelette, Sweet Wine Cakes, and Hummus.
Ancient Roman Recipes
- Selection of recipes from Marcus Gavius Apicius' cookbook "De Re Coquinaria."
- An anonymous Andalusian cookbook of the 13th century translated by Charles Perry.
Around The Roman Table
- Eight recipes from "Around the Roman Table: Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome," by Patrick Faas.
A Biblical Feast
- Cookbook presentation with three sample recipes from the ancient Hebrews.
A Boke of Gode Cookery Recipes
- James Matterer's collection of Medieval recipes translated and adapted for the modern cook.
- Seven reconstructed recipes served by the common people or middle classes.
Cariadoc and Elizabeth's Recipes
- Medieval European and Near Eastern recipes worked out from period or almost-period sources.
- Illustrated recipe for an Anglo-Norman pie.
Culinary and Dietetic Texts 1350-1800
- Historical texts on cookery, food, nutrition and dietetics, presented by Thomas Gloning, Philipps-University Marburg. Mainly in German.
The Doughboy Cookbook
- A dozen recipes of a soldier's menu during the First World War, such as Hardtack, Bullets in a Pot, and S.O.S.
Feeding America: The Historic American Cookbook Project
- Online collection of the most important 19th and early 20th century American cookbooks, viewable as page images.
Food and Recipes of Wartime Europe
- Eight recipes from Margaret Patten's cookbooks.
Food In Tudor England
- Food culture and recipes from the times of the Tudors (1485-1603), when foods from the New World were introduced.
The Forme of Cury
- Cookbook compiled around 1390 by the master-cooks of King Richard II, viewable as page images.
Frugal Recipes From Wartime Britain
- Recipes from Colleen Moulding's Grandmother to feed her husband and seven children during the Second World War.
- History with recipes of hardtack, the most convenient food for soldiers, explorers, and pioneers.
Henry Notaker's Old Cookbooks and Food History
- Excerpts from Norwegian cookbooks and links to websites pertaining to historical cookbooks.
Lady Logie's Recipes
- Three 18th century Scottish recipes.
Medieval and Anglo Saxon Recipes
- Eight recipes taken from "The British Museum Cookbook" by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson.
Medieval European Recipes
- Six recipes taken from "The British Museum Cookbook" by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson.
Medieval Italian Stew
- Also known as Pie in a Pipkin.
The Medieval Kitchen - Recipes from France and Italy
- Cookbook presentation with six sample recipes.
- About twenty recipes at RecipeSource.com.
- Favourite Medieval and Renaissance recipes adapted for the modern cook.
Medieval Recipes from Various Sources
- Original texts of the recipes along with a modern workout.
NOVA Online: Real Roman Recipes
- Real Roman recipes for a day at the baths.
Peggy's Antiquated Recipes
- A selection of old recipes classified by period, from the Middle Ages until the 1980s.
Recipes and Rations
- Eleven recipes from the last half of the last century (in English and German); from Timewitnesses.org.
Recipes from the Twentieth Century
- Sample recipes from the book Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads by Sylvia Lovegren, with short introductory notes on the food fads involved.
Regency Collection - Recipes
- Recipes from authentic handwritten 'receipt' books of the 18th century.
The Renaissance at the Dinner Table
- Twenty seven Medieval and Renaissance recipes with notes.
Sabina Welserin's Cookbook
- English translation of one of the oldest German cookbooks (1553).
Some Recipes of al-Andalus
- Vegetarian recipes of Medieval Spain.
Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books
- Middle English texts of two manuscripts, edited by Thomas Austin.
Victoriana.com: 19th C. Cake Recipes
- Eight cake recipes from Godey's Lady's Book, 1860.
- Recipes from the 19th and early 20th century.
Usenet rec.food.historic -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: September 19, 2013 at 5:24:07 UTC -