become an editor
the entire directory
only in By_Source_of_Exposure/Smokeless_Tobacco
By Source of Exposure
Recreation: Tobacco: Smokeless
Baseball's Bad Habit
- Magazine article on spit tobacco, its use in baseball, and how it's promoted.
Carcinogens in 5 leading brands of snuff
- Scientific paper measures levels of carcinogenic N-nitrosamines in 5 leading U.S. brands of moist snuff.
Facts You Should Know About Smokeless (Spit) Tobacco
- Factsheet from Saskatchewan Health. Ingredients, effects, disease, addictive product, quit tips, prevention.
A girl and her chew: one woman's story of spit tobacco use
- "I had my first chew just before my 17th birthday...I had been a smoker for over three years at that point...I did quit smoking eventually. Chew proved much harder for me to stop."
MedlinePlus: Smokeless Tobacco
- Resources from the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
National Spit Tobacco Education Program (NSTEP)
- Educational program designed to reduce use of spit tobacco, especially among children. Grassroots efforts to build a nation-wide network of spit tobacco education and cessation resources.
Native Women's Use of Smokeless Tobacco May Increase Risk of Breast Cancer
- A study of Cherokee women in the U.S. showed the risk of breast cancer is nearly eight times that of women who do not use smokeless tobacco.
Obituary: anti-spit tobacco crusader Bill Tuttle
- Former major-league baseball player Bill Tuttle died in 1998 after a long battle with oral cancer. His life and death show what spit tobacco does to its customers, and how it's promoted by its manufacturers.
Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of moist snuff in humans
- Article in scientific journal. Tested several brands of snuff. Measured results in human volunteers. "Large amounts of nicotine were delivered rapidly to the bloodstream".
Quit Smokeless Organization
- When you're ready to quit, find the resources here that you need to kick the can. Info and support from people who've been there.
Skoal and Urban Cowboy
- A 1980 marketing report for Skoal provides an inside look at promotion of spit tobacco; in this report, U.S. Tobacco plans to link its brand to the popular 1980 movie "Urban Cowboy".
Smokeless Tobacco Facts
- From the University of Minnesota Division of Periodontology. Short factsheet covers types of product; prevalence of use; industry advertising and promotion; effects of use; addiction.
Smokeless Tobacco or Health
- Monograph from the National Cancer Institute. Epidemiology, clinical and pathological effects, carcinogenesis, nicotine effects and addiction, prevention, cessation, policy, and recommendations. All downloadable PDF files.
Smokeless Tobacco: Tips on How to Stop
- Information from the American Academy of Family Physicians.
Spit Tobacco Advertising and Promotion Increasing
- 2003 FTC report finds that the spit tobacco industry has spent more promoting its product every year since 1987.
Tobacco Intervention Network
- Over 9,000 dentists, hygienists, cessation counselors, physicians, psychologists and other health professionals who want to help their patients quit the use of spit tobacco. How to quit spit tobacco, how health professionals can help their patients quit, news, and posters and videos on the subject.
Baseball Star Bagwell Snuffs Out Spitting Tobacco
- Jeff Bagwell stops using spit tobacco after pre-cancerous lesions started appearing inside his cheek; story explains. (July 31, 2001)
ScienceDaily Magazine -- Use Of Smokeless Tobacco May Lead To Breast Cancer, Wake Forest Team Reports
- Preliminary results suggest that using smokeless tobacco may dramatically increase the risk of breast cancer, Wake Forest University School of Medicine researchers reported. (May 09, 2000)
Chewing Tobacco Hampers Ability to Perform Complex Tasks
- The nicotine in spit tobacco reduces an individual's ability to perform complex tasks that require hand and body movements to adjust to new visual feedback, according to new research. (November 17, 1999)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: September 3, 2015 at 9:45:07 UTC -