the entire directory
only in Tobacco/Effects
Brain and Nervous System
Mouth and Throat
Reproduction and Pregnancy
By Source of Exposure
Health: Addictions: Substance Abuse: Tobacco: Quitting
Health: Pharmacy: Drugs and Medications: N: Nicotine
Society: Issues: Health: Tobacco
BBC News: Grim toll of smoking
- More than 122,000 British smokers will die prematurely in the year 2000 from a smoking-related disease; article explains.
- Firsthand accounts of what it is like to live with the diseases caused by cigarettes.
Cigarette Smoking-Attributable Morbidity --- United States, 2000
- Most reports focus on how many people are killed by tobacco products; this report estimates how much disease cigarettes cause: tobacco products give more than 8.6 million Americans serious diseases every year.
Diagnose-Me: Conditions: Cigarette Smoke Damage
- Lists diseases caused by tobacco propducts, and provides a brief description of each.
Fire Injuries, Disasters, and Costs from Cigarettes and Cigarette Lights fires
- Scientific paper estimates the injuries, deaths, and costs from smoking-attributable files.
Mortality from Smoking in Developed Countries 1950-2000
- Latest edition of massive tome; content in PDF format.
Premature Skin Wrinkling And Cigarette Smoking
- Recent research on how tobacco products cause face wrinkles in young people.
Smoking Caused Disability
- Smoking not only shortens life, it increases number of years of disability. This research analysis estimates how much increased disability is caused by smoking.
Smoking Cessation Health Center
- Discussion, graphics, and analysis of tobacco use, disease, and death.
Smoking Deaths Not Overstated, Re-Analysis Shows
- Refuting claims by the tobacco industry that death estimates from smoking are inflated, the American Medical Association re-analyzes the data.
Smoking Increases Anxiety
- Smoking is supposed to calm the nerves, but researchers have found evidence that it might have the opposite effect. BBS News article on recent research.
Tobacco BBS Health Information Page
- Annotated collection of links on health effects of firsthand and secondhand smoking, spit tobacco, quitting.
- The facts on tobacco products and cancer of the larynx, lung, and mouth, emphysema, epidemology, and how to quit; information and graphic pictures from a Kentucky physician.
Tobacco or Health: The Consequences of Tobacco Use
- Summary of health effects, costs, effects on environment, with focus on Canada.
Worldwide Trends in Tobacco Consumption and Mortality
- WHO report outlines effects of tobacco globally, identifies trends.
The Whole Truth About Smoking
- New research find that the tobacco industry does a good job in deceiving the public about the full health risks of smoking; a rundown of 6 myths about smoking and the facts. (March 13, 2002)
He Wanted You to Know
- Article from the St. Petersburg Times, Florida. Bryan Curtis started smoking at 13, never thinking that 20 years later cigarettes would kill him and leave his wife and children alone. Half of all tobacco deaths are people aged 35 to 69; this is one person's story. (June 15, 1999)
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 14, 2014 at 16:35:07 UTC -