become an editor
the entire directory
only in A-H1N1/1918_Pandemic
Conditions and Diseases
Open Directory - Health: Conditions and Diseases: Infectious Diseases: Viral: Influenza: A-H1N1: 1918 Pandemic
The 1918 Influenza Pandemic
- History of this pandemic, the public health measures taken to limit it, and the efforts of scientists to pinpoint its cause.
The American Experience: Influenza 1918
- Information on the film from the PBS series. Features include, maps, timelines and people and events relating to this devastating occurrence.
Bird flu, Influenza and 1918: The Case for Mutant Avian Tuberculosis
- Medical hypothesis by Lawrence Broxmeyer MD linking the swine flu, bird flu and the pandemic of 1918 to genetic material that the influenza virus "borrowed" from tuberculosis. [PDF]
Influenza 1918, A Venus Connection?
- An American suggestion that some viruses come from outer space led British astronomers to hypothesize that Venus was a likely origin for solar-wind borne liquefying bacterial invasions.
The Pennsylvania Gazette: The Flu of 1918
- An account of the outbreak based on contemporary newspaper accounts of its progress through Philadelphia.
Wikipedia: Spanish Flu
- Article about the 1918 Influenza pandemic with a look to geographical origins and social impact.
Is Another Influenza Pandemic Coming Soon?
- Article from Infectious Disease News describing the investigation of a Spanish influenza sample found in WWI soldier's lungs. [Requires free registration] (June 02, 1997)
A Doughboy's Lungs Yield 1918 Flu Virus
- An article from Science News Online describing the exhumation of one of the victims of the pandemic and the retrieval of a virus sample from his tissue. (March 22, 1997)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 4, 2012 at 10:45:02 UTC -