the entire directory
only in Hearing/Deafness
Conditions and Diseases
Assistive Listening Devices
Health: Conditions and Diseases: Communication Disorders: Deafblindness
Health: Conditions and Diseases: Ear, Nose and Throat: Ear
Health: Professions: Audiology
This category in other languages:
- Provides articles on a range of topics associated with hearing loss including daily life, sign language and the help available to the deaf. Newsletter and e-courses available.
American Family Physician: Differential Diagnosis and Treatment of Hearing Loss
- Article discussing the evaluation of hearing loss and what tests can be done to determine the type and cause of the problem.
BUPA Factsheets: Hearing Loss
- Concise factsheet explaining the causes, symptoms and treatment of hearing loss.
- The Internet version of World Deaf Directory's residential email addresses. The first service of its kind by and for the deaf world.
- Information about technology, sign language, interpreting, and education.
The Deaf Resource Library
- Online collection of resource material and links intended to inform about deaf communities and resources in the U.S. and Japan.
- Webmail, events, workshop listings, links, online relay, bulletin board, chat, and many other resources for the deaf community, students and teachers of ASL, and anyone interested in American sign language and deaf culture.
- Community with news, events, information, and links.
- Includes list of sites pertaining to deafness, sorted by category.
- Home to a mailing list about deafness, as well as information and links to other deaf resources.
Deafness Research UK: Genetics and Deafness
- Factsheet on the role that genetics can play in deafness. [pdf]
- Comedy about deaf culture.
- Resources and activities for deaf and hearing children to learn together online. Site is written in English, French, American Sign Language, and Langue des Signes Québécoise.
Dizziness and Balance: Sensorineural Hearing Loss
- Timothy C. Hain, MD, describes this condition and its causes, in particular noise induced loss and how musicians may prevent damaging their ears.
eMedicine Health: Hearing Loss
- Consumer resource center providing the causes, symptoms, and treatment of hearing loss.
Fully Implantable Otologics Device
- Preliminary surgical and clinical results of a trial of a middle ear implant designed to address the amplification needs of adults with moderate to severe sensorineural hearing loss. [PDF]
- Community search engine, calendar, and directories. Requires Flash.
Hard of Hearing Children
- Information and advocacy for people interested in the experiences of hard of hearing children. Special sections for parents.
- News and information about hearing loss, hearing aids, tinnitus, cochlear implants and all other hearing health topics.
Hearing Aid Know
- Provide helpful information about issues surrounding deafness and hearing aids.
Hearing Help Australia
- Provides information on digital and other hearing aids, hearing loss and hearing news. Helps people find a hearing professional in their area.
I'm Listening as Hard as I Can!
- Articles about coping with severe hearing loss in a society that is seldom considerate or accommodating toward the deaf or hard of hearing.
- Provides information on all aspects of industrial deafness, including symptoms, causes, and prevention.
Mayo Clinic: Hearing Loss
- Provides information on the signs, treatment and prevention of age and noise related hearing loss.
Medicinenet: Hearing Loss and Older Adults
- A physician-produced listing of health information about hearing loss and communications disorders.
- Information on a novel by Nick Sturley. Includes background on the Milan Conference and its repercussions on the deaf community.
- Factsheet on this type of hearing loss that gradually occurs in most individuals as they grow older. Includes the symptoms and causes and what can be done to alleviate the condition.
NIDCD: Sudden Deafness
- Factsheet about a rapid loss of hearing over the period of a few days which should be considered a medical emergency. Includes possible causes, diagnosis, treatments, current research and links to more information.
- Listings of deaf community and interpreter related events throughout the USA as well as important news related to the deaf community.
On Using Colorful Hearing Aids
- British study on the attitudes of children and their parents to the use of brightly colored behind-the-ear hearing aids.
Pediatric Hearing Loss
- A physician describes diagnostic evaluation, and explains speech and language development. Includes family issues and recent developments.
Rights of Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Explains this section of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which deals with shopping, medical treatment, attorneys and telecommunications.
See What I'm Saying: The Deaf Entertainers Documentary
- Documentary follows four well-known entertainers in the deaf community: a comic, a drummer, an actor and a singer as they overcome personal obstacles and celebrate professional landmarks. Directed/produced by Hilari Scarl.
Treatment of Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss
- Study by Anne Elizabeth Conlin and Lorne S. Parnes aiming to identify, evaluate and review randomized controlled trial data on the treatment of SSHL. [PDF]
WHO: Deafness and Hearing Impairment
- Factsheet on these conditions, their causes and prevention, and the social and economic burden that they impose on society.
- Explores the terminology behind the word "deaf" and its synonyms.
- Fully automated system to scrape a number of blogs and sources and bring them together into one deaf-related feed. [RSS]
Usenet alt.society.deaf -
Usenet alt.support.hearing-loss -
Usenet bit.listserv.deaf-l -
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 28, 2014 at 17:08:28 UTC -