become an editor
the entire directory
only in SIDS/Research
Conditions and Diseases
Cot Life 2000
- Discusses a theory that cot death is caused by toxic gases released from mattresses and offers suggestions for its prevention.
First Candle: Toxic Gas Theory, Mattresses and SIDS
- Summarises results from a number of studies into toxic gas theory, and concludes there is a lack of evidence to support the theory as a cause of SIDS. [PDF]
Lancet: Infection and sudden unexpected death in infancy: a systematic retrospective case review
- Research by Weber MA et al suggesting a possible link between bacterial infection and cot death. [Abstract only, Payment required for full paper] (May 31, 2008)
ADC: Electromagnetic fields produced by incubators influence heart rate variability in newborns
- Research demonstrating that incubator electromagnetic fields affects heart rate variability in newborn babies. Full paper is available in PDF for a fee. (May 01, 2008)
BBC News: Lung flaw link to cot death risk
- Research finding that babies born with specific variants of three key lung genes are 14 times more likely to die from cot death. (August 23, 2006)
New Scientist: Nicotine's double link to cot death
- Article discussing research finding that nicotine not only disrupts a baby's breathing, but can also disrupt the early development of neural circuits that guard against breathing cessation during sleep. (September 10, 2002)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 11, 2014 at 10:54:10 UTC -