become an editor
the entire directory
only in Poultry/Conditions_and_Diseases
Conditions and Diseases
Open Directory - Health: Animal: Birds: Poultry: Conditions and Diseases
Health: Animal: Birds: Conditions and Diseases
Health: Animal: Conditions and Diseases
Health: Conditions and Diseases: Infectious Diseases: Viral: Influenza: Avian
- Information on this fungal disease of birds. Description of the fungus and its mode of action, its transmission, symptoms, prevention, treatment and diagnosis.
Avian Disease Fact Sheet
- Signs of health and disease in poultry, disease diagnosis, parasites, and nutritional deficiencies. From Virginia State University.
Avian Reovirus Infections
- Provides information on the diseases caused by this group of viruses, their diagnosis and prevention.
Bacterial and Viral Diseases
- Provides a brief description of the more common diseases of poultry, their symptoms, treatment and control.
- Provides information on some common diseases, their symptoms and treatment.
- Provides information on this disease, its cause, symptoms, the species affected, transmission, diagnosis, treatment and control.
- Information from Wikipedia on this important disease that affects chickens, turkeys and other poultry caused by the protozoan parasite Histomonas meleagridis.
Blackhead in Turkeys: Questions and Answers
- Provides information on this disease in the UK and the products available for treatment.
- Provides information on this disease caused by the ingestion of a toxin produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium, and how it affects poultry.
Common External Parasites in Poultry: Lice and Mites
- Provides information on these parasites, their life cycles, the flock symptoms and possible treatments.
Disease Factsheet: Newcastle Disease
- Information from DEFRA on this notifiable disease, its clinical signs, lesions visible at post mortem, the legislation covering outbreaks and the disease control strategy adopted in the UK.
- Information from Wikipedia on this disease, also called duck viral enteritis, which causes high mortality in ducks.
- Provides information on this condition which is caused by the hen being unable to lay an extra large egg, and what can be done about it.
Eye Disorders of Poultry
- Article on ammonia toxicity and other causes of eye problems in the flock.
Factors to Consider in Serologic Testing for Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Mycoplasma synoviae
- Article by G. D. Butcher, DVM, of the University of Florida Cooperative Extension.
- Information on this contagious bacterial disease, also called avian pasteurellosis, caused by Pasteurella multocida, and the diagnostic techniques used for identification of the agent and the treatment.
Fungal Diseases of Poultry
- Provides information on these diseases, their symptoms and treatment.
Gallid Herpesvirus 1
- Information from Wikipedia on avian infectious laryngotracheitis which is caused by this virus and affects chickens, and sometimes pheasants.
- Information from Wikipedia on this parasitic nematode worm which is common in young, domesticated chickens and turkeys.
- Provides information on this condition, the symptoms, prevention and treatment, with the help of a diagram of the hen’s digestive system.
- IB is a disease that mainly affects chickens. Information on the disease, its prevention and control, and the use of vaccines to protect the flock.
Infectious Bronchitis and Its Effect on Egg Production and Egg Quality
- Article by Gary D. Butcher and Richard Miles at the University of Florida Cooperative Extension.
Infectious Bursal Disease (Gumboro) in Commercial Broilers
- Provides information on this acute and highly contagious viral infection of immature chickens, its symptoms, diagnosis, prevention and control.
Less Common External Parasites in Poultry
- Provides information on chiggers, stick-tight fleas, fowl ticks and scaly-leg mites, describes the flock symptoms and outlines possible treatments.
Marek's Disease in Chickens
- This disease is caused by a herpes virus and is sometimes called fowl paralysis. This article outlines the means of spread, the signs, lesions and prevention.
Mycoplasma Gallisepticum: A Continuing Problem in Commercial Poultry
- Article by Gary D. Butcher, DVM of the University of Florida Cooperative Extension.
A New Vaccine Against Enteritidis Salmonella
- Javier Ochoa Reparaz undertook research at the University of Navarre into the development of an acellular vaccine against Salmonella enteritidis.
- Provides information on the symptoms and treatment of a variety of viral and bacterial diseases.
Poultry: Causes for Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic Syndrome
- Provides information on this condition of fowls which is caused by high levels of dietary energy.
Prevention and Control of Fowl Pox in Backyard Chicken Flocks
- Article describing the simple precautions that can be taken to avoid this disease.
Prevention of Blackhead in Turkeys
- Information on this disease caused by the protozoan Histomonas meleagridis. Biosecurity is the key to prevention in the UK as there are no authorised treatments.
Sinus and Eye Infection in Chickens
- Some advice from PoultryHelp.com.
- Photographs and information from PoultryHelp.com about this condition of new hatched chicks.
A Study of Borrelia anserina Infection (Spirochetosis) in Turkeys
- Research paper on this subject by Ethel McNeil, W. R. Hinshaw, and R. E. Kissling. [PDF]
Summary of Avian Diseases: Fungal, Nutritional. Tumors, Parasites and Miscellaneous
- Veterinary information on a number of diseases including occurrence, signs, morbidity, mortality, diagnosis, prevention and treatment.
Salmonella Can Cause Poorer Eggshell Quality
- The USDA Agricultural Research Service provides information and news about scientific research. (October 04, 2004)
Conditions and Diseases
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:24:05 AM EDT -