become an editor
the entire directory
only in Tobacco/Teen_Smoking
Health: Child Health
Health: Specific Substances: Tobacco: Effects: By Source of Exposure: Secondhand Smoke: Effects on Children
Health: Teen Health
Society: People: Generations and Age Groups: Youth: Health
Addicting Kids to Nicotine
- Summary of the science on how people get addicted, what nicotine does in the brain.
Age at Smoking Initiation and Lung Damage
- Scientific paper examines the evidence that lung damage is greater and more lasting the younger a person started smoking.
Educational Support Materials on Cancer
- Reports and slide presentations on tobacco industry youth prevention programs, kids and tobacco, and spit tobacco. In Word and PowerPoint format.
Effects of Anti- and Pro-smoking Advertising in Convenience Stores
- Research finds that point-of-purchase cigarette ads at convenience stores influence teen smoking.
Hooked on Tobacco: The Teen Epidemic
- From Consumer Reports.
In the Mix - Smoking: The Truth Unfiltered
- PBS show on smoking. Emphasis is on effects of smoking in the here and now, not just 40 years down the line.
MedlinePlus: Smoking and Youth
- Resources from the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
Monitoring the Future: Kids' favorite cigarettes
- Just three cigarette brands account for nearly all teen smoking: Marlboro (Philip Morris), Newport (Lorillard), and Camel (RJ Reynolds). These are among the most heavily advertised and promoted cigarette brands, in particular Marlboro, and Marlboro alone accounts for nearly two thirds of teen smoking.
Progression to Established Smoking Among US Youths
- Study presents national estimates of the proportion of youths in each of 7 stages of smoking, and evaluates the effects of pro-smoking and anti-smoking influences.
Smokefree Kids Fact Sheet
- Facts on tobacco use among children, nicotine and nicotine addiction in children, tobacco-caused disease, questions to ask candidates for public office, children and tobacco advertising.
Smoking: Cutting Through the Hype
- Article for teens on smoking and its promotion by the tobacco industry.
Tobacco and Kids: The Facts
- Broad summary of issues from the Center for Tobacco-Free Kids.
The Tobacco Reference Guide: Teen Smoking
- 36 pages of facts and quotes on the subject.
Youth and Tobacco Facts
- Factsheet on youth and tobacco from Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights.
Sweet as Candy, Deadly as Cigarettes
- Time magazine article on bidis. (December 16, 2002)
ADVANCE for Nurses: Turning the Tide
- Trends in teen smoking, campaigns that work, and the industry's counter-attack, from a magazine for nurses. (February 01, 2002)
Young Smokers Risk Greater Genetic Damage
- Tobacco products cause more lung cancer to smokers who start young, recent research finds; scientists think it may relate to the impact of smoking at an age when the lungs are still developing. (April 07, 1999)
Slugfest in the Smoke Ring
- Washington Post article describes the approaches of the four major tobacco companies -- Philip Morris, R. J. Reynolds, Brown and Williamson, and Lorillard -- to get younger smokers, and explains why this is so important to the industry. (March 01, 1998)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 19, 2014 at 13:35:12 UTC -