the entire directory
only in Substance_Abuse/Tobacco
Open Directory - Health: Addictions: Substance Abuse: Tobacco
Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual
Health: Specific Substances: Tobacco
Society: Issues: Health: Tobacco
This category in other languages:
CDC's TIPS: Tobacco Information and Prevention Source
- Maintained by the CDC's Office on Smoking and Health. Covers tobacco-related issues, statistics, news, research, data, reports, quitting tips, educational materials, publications, . Also sections dedicated to youth.
- Cigarettes, tobacco, and smoking-related news and issues, addresses, tobacco history, information on quitting, and a quote of the day section.
- American Legacy Foundation tobacco education campaign covers cigarettes, smoking, other tobacco products. "The truth about how the cigarette industry operates".
'Impact Booster': Tobacco Firm Shows How Ammonia Spurs Delivery of Nicotine
- 1996 Pulitzer prize-winning reporting on how the tobacco industry uses ammonia to engineer cigarettes for addiction.
A Collection of Articles on Nicotine Addiction
- Articles about research studies funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Ammonia Added to Cigarettes Can Significantly Boost Availability of Nicotine
- Independent research confirms that ammonia added to cigarettes can boost the availability of nicotine up to 100 times.
Cancer Facts and Figures
- Concise summary from the American Cancer Society of tobacco use, cigarettes, trends in smoking, profiling smokers, costs of tobacco, nicotine addiction, secondhand smoke, spit tobacco, and industrial hazards.
Good Health -- Healthy Lifestyle
- This site is dedicated to convincing people to live a healthy lifestyle, to improve their quality of life, and avoid (or reduce the severity of) chronic disease.
Infofax - Cigarettes and Other Nicotine Products
- NIH short summary of nicotine effects.
Low Tar Exposed
- Site explains why "low tar", "light" and "mild" cigarettes are just as harmful as regular cigarettes.
M. D. Anderson Cancer Center - Tobacco & Cancer
- University of Texas medical center factsheets on effects of smoking and tobacco, and tips and support for quitting. One-third of M. D. Anderson patients have tobacco-related cancers.
- Concise factsheet.
- Information on kids and smoking, facts about smoking and addiction.
Nicotine and the Tobacco Industry
- Science Week article focuses on 3 decades of tobacco industry efforts to engineer cigarettes for addiction.
- "Tobacco smoking is the single most important cause of ill health and premature death in Australia." Not just quitting information -- health questions answered; effects of cigarettes; quit evaluation studies; information in languages other than English; smokefree workplaces and dining.
Reducing the Addictiveness of Cigarettes
- Can cigarettes be made less addictive? Scientific paper examines the question.
Report of the UK Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health
- Report covers the scientific evidence on active smoking, passive smoking, nicotine addiction, price and marketing of cigarettes and other tobacco products, cessation, key conclusions.
Research Report: Nicotine Addiction
- Information from the National Institute on Drug Abuse about nicotine, addiction, the extent and impact of tobacco use, how nicotine delivers its effect, consequences of continued use, treatments, and gender differences.
Smoking And Tobacco Factsheets
- From the Missouri Health Department, a large set of factsheets on cigarettes, tobacco advertising, health effects, and secondhand smoke.
TCSG - Tobacco and The Elderly
- Papers and factsheets on: tobacco and minorities, state tobacco settlement funds, tobacco and older persons.
Tobacco Advertising and Document Collections
- Growing set of resources presenting and organizing tobacco industry documents; shows what the industry says in private about youth, advertising, promotions; features a poster on the history of youth cigarette brands.
Tobacco Control Online
- A quarterly scientific journal covering all aspects of tobacco use prevention and control.
Tobacco Industry Hall of Shame
- List of stars and performers killed by tobacco.
- Offers smoking cessation tips, research results, and tips for staying smoke free.
WHO Tobacco Free Initiative (TFI)
- A WHO cabinet project created to focus international attention, resources and action on global tobacco use and problems caused by that use.
WhyQuit - Cold Turkey Quitting
- A support group and education forum dedicated exclusively to the science and art of successful abrupt nicotine cessation.
eMedicine - Nicotine Addiction
- Medical facts on the physiology of nicotine addiction, and the effect tobacco products have on the brain, lungs, and other vital organs, and a treatment options section.
"Crack" Nicotine in Cigarettes Varies Widely
- New research measures amount of free-base nicotine in "the modern cigarette, a highly engineered nicotine delivery device". (July 28, 2003)
OncoLink: The Control and Manipulation of Nicotine and Cigarettes
- 1994 news article. Kessler report on how the tobacco industry controls and manipulates nicotine in its product. (June 21, 1994)
" search on:
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Sunday, November 7, 2010 2:07:53 PM EST -