become an editor
the entire directory
only in Usenet/History
Open Directory - Computers: Usenet: History
Computers: Internet: History
The Big Eight Newsgroup Creation Process
- Documents the ancient process to create, rename, remove, or change the moderation status of newsgroups in the Big Eight hierarchies. Currently, the management is done by the Big-8.org team. Written by Russ Allbery
Gopher.quux.org : Usenet A News
- Hosts articles from 1981 and 1982, which means long before the Great Renaming, for historical purposes.
Great Renaming from Wikipedia
- What the Great Renaming was, who did it, and what hierarchies were removed and created.
- An eyewitness account and timeline of the start of "meowing" on usenet. Newsgroup invasions, large numbers of posts, net kooks.
Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet
- Links to Michael and Ronda Hauben's on-line book. Presents the history and impact of various aspects of the Net, such as the Internet, ARPANET, and Usenet. Attempts to help readers understand the origins of the Net, so they might help preserve its value throughout future developments and changes.
- Shows Usenet, updated in real time as it was thirty years ago.
Usenet creator Jim Ellis dies
- News item about the death, in 2001, of Jim Ellis, who helped create Usenet.
USENET Software: History and Sources
- A Usenet post by Gene Spafford, archived 9 February 1998 by the Institute of Information and Computing Sciences. A useful historical summary, particularly in terms of the software used for usenet.
I Remember Usenet
- Brad Templeton recalls the early days of the Internet and the rise of Usenet. (December 21, 2001)
The Geeks Who Saved Usenet
- Article on the restoration of the early Usenet articles to the archives at Google Groups. [Salon.Com] (January 07, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 9, 2014 at 12:15:07 UTC -