become an editor
the entire directory
only in Open_Source/Simputer
Computers: Hardware: Components: Processors: ARM
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Linux
Encore Software Limited: Simputer
- Specifications, news and where to buy their Simputer.
Handheld PC bridges digital divide
- Indian scientists invent cheap device enabling poor and illiterate to surf internet. [The Guardian]
Indian handheld to tackle digital divide
- Indian scientists and engineers develop a handheld computer to help the poor and illiterate join the information age. [BBC News]
Linuxgazette.com - Fun with Simputer and Embedded Linux
- A tutorial introduction to programming the Simputer.
- A simple handheld to bridge India's digital divide. [Technology Review]
The Simputer Project
- Aims at developing low cost access device that can pervade the rural landscape, especially in third world countries.
Simputer's Ajit Anvekar: Keeping up the Open Source 'josh'
- Ajit R. Anvekar didn't grow up with a computer, in fact, he bought his own PC only about two years ago, but he has already contributed to one of the best examples of Open Source's potential effect on the digital divide. [Linux.com]
- Presents the computer and provides information about its deployment, its weaknesses, and its current status.
Yahoo Groups: Simputer
- Mailing list for discussions related to the Simputer.
rediff.com - Simputer: Not for the common man any more
- Three years ago, the Simputer was the biggest story to come out of the Indian IT industry. This is an update on its development and marketing. (October 17, 2003)
'Poor-man's computer' to educate young Indians
- The first assignment of a poor man's hand-held computer, developed in Bangalore, is to bring basic education to tribal children in central India. [Asia Times] (September 22, 2001)
India to Compute on the Cheap
- In spite of the country producing some great tech talent, the vast majority of India's nearly 1 billion people haven't benefited from the IT revolution at all. [Wired] (June 28, 2001)
Simple Inexpensive Mobile Computer: The Simputer
- Sachin Karol links to this Time Asia report about the Simputer. [Slashdot] (May 02, 2001)
A Simple Plan
- From Bangalore comes a spirited attempt to bring computers to the gigabyte-less masses. [TIMEasia.com] (April 30, 2001)
Simputer: the computer for the masses
- For sheer versatility, the thingamajig is streets ahead of other gizmos. It's simple, it's portable. At about Rs 9,000 per piece, it's highly affordable. [rediff.com] (April 01, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 22, 2013 at 1:02:12 UTC -