become an editor
the entire directory
only in Object-Oriented/Open_Source
Computers: Programming: Languages: Object-Oriented
Computers: Programming: Methodologies: Object-Oriented
Computers: Software: Object-Oriented
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Microkernel: Open Source
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Network: Open Source
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Open Source
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Open Source: Research
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Realtime: Open Source
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Submicrokernel
- Modular object-oriented application to index files across networks. Has plug-in type data retrieval system, webserver, peer-to-peer connections for network-wide information gathering, retrieval; has features of OSs, database management systems, distributed networking. Open Source, GPL.
- Official site of GNUstep: free implementation of NeXTStep/OpenStep specification.
JOS: Java Operating System
- Collaborative undertaking by an international group of Java programmers and enthusiasts to create free Java OS. [Open Source]
- Makes JX OS: set of Java components executes on core doing system initialization, CPU context switching, low-level domain management; code organized as components loaded into domains, verified, translated to native code; protection based on type safety of intermediate (byte)code. Open Source.
- Tiny Java OS for Lego RCX brick. Like its predecessor TinyVM, has tiny Java runtime, under 32K; works as replacement firmware for Lego; Hitachi H8300 processor. To be ported to more small devices. [Open Source, Mozilla]
- Orthogonally persistent, capability-based secure SASOS using L4 2nd generation microkernel. Goals: Prove SASOSs can run on normal hardware, be as secure as normal OSs; can be as efficient as, and are faster than, normal OSs in some important uses; can be pure SASOSs with all data (even system data) in one address space and no other IPC mechanism is supported by OS. POSIX emulating. [Open Source, GPL]
- Object-oriented OS uses best parts of VMS, Unix, Windows NT. Almost everything in kernel is an object (threads, processes, devices, files, event flags, more) to which one can assign logical names. [Open Source]
- Tool designed to teach inner workings of operating systems: simple animated simulated OS and hardware coded in Java. RCOS successor.
- Lightweight, very modular component-based, multitasking, embedded OS; developed, used for many research projects. Goal: manage fast data streams in multimedia environments; for speed and low overhead has zero copy architecture: passes pointer references to data instead of copying it. [Open Source, GPL]
- Minimal OS kernel for PC based server appliances. Lets you run java server applications without need to install host OS, only need normal Java HotSpot VM and Sanos. Description, documents, downloads, manifesto, links, contact. [Open Source, BSD]
- Modern object-orientated microkernel, focus: flexibility and functionality, instead of speed and compatibility. Coded in C. Description, downloads. [Open Source, GPL]
Trion Development Portal
- Goal: create modern 32/64-bit OS, based on ideas of object-orientation, nanokernel; coded in C++, C and Assembly where needed. Open source, BSD.
- Object-based framework to implement network protocols; defines an interface that protocols use to invoke operations on one another (i.e., to send messages to and receive messages from adjacent protocols) and a set of libraries to manipulate messages, participant addresses, events, associative memory tables (maps), threads.
The Evolution of OS Design
- Object Operating System, OOS, pronounced ooze; goal: create new OS architecture, which uses filesystem to do many jobs usually done via various means. Design philosophy inspired by Unix, Plan 9, but does many things uniquely, trades compatibility for simplicity. [Freecode] (March 22, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 24, 2014 at 11:45:06 UTC -