become an editor
the entire directory
only in Operating_Systems/Education
Computers: Hardware: Components: Processors: Education
Computers: Programming: Education
Computers: Programming: Languages: Education
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Open Source
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Research
- Academic Operating System, goals: to expose students to more modern ideas than older OSs, to basic OS mechanisms, to OS and language design and prototyping; old version, ideas for new microkernel version.
Amateur OS: AMOS
- Scott Billingsley's OS: realtime for DSP and amateur radio, one user/application, 16-bit real mode, for i386+, FAT 12/16; no TSRs, library of routines to program into apps, minimal kernel support (minimize interrupts), written in NASM assembly and Sphnix C--.
- Kid Operating System. Modular (run-time dynamic linking), preemptive multitasking, to have SVR4-like VM. Begun 1998 by young programmers, most of them students. Goal: not obtaining OS, but learning OS internals and functioning of x86 processors. Downloads, links, documentation. [Open Source, GPL]
- Not Another Completely Heuristic Operating System: teaching OS coded in C++ subset, developed at UC Berkeley for OS and Systems Programming classes; now used worldwide. Descriptions, FAQ, port and bug lists, assignments, downloads. [Open Source]
- Port, extension of instructional OS, now stand-alone, protected mode, multithreaded, compiles in FreeBSD to run on i486+, can be relinked without recompile. Descriptions, report (HTML, PDF, PS), download. [Open Source]
- Teachable Operating System: tiny multithreaded messaging microkernel, in ANSI C; protected threads, memory managed, and thread/process control. From undergraduate course on concurrency, device programming, OS concepts. Descriptions, documents, theses, downloads, contacts, links. [Open Source, GPL]
Usenet alt.os.nachos -
Usenet comp.os.misc -
Usenet comp.os.research -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 1, 2014 at 12:24:05 UTC -