become an editor
the entire directory
only in Software/Data_Compression
Open Directory - Computers: Software: Data Compression
Computers: Algorithms: Compression
Computers: Data Formats: Compression
Computers: Multimedia: Digital Video: Products and Tools: Software
Computers: Programming: Component Frameworks: COM: Components: Compression
This category in other languages:
- Windows data compression utility that supports zip, TAR, gzip, BinHex, and MIME. ARJ, LZH, and ARC formats. Includes ZipSend file delivery web service and ZipShare Facebook app.
- Open source Windows utility for manipulating archives. Formats 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR are supported fully, other formats can be unpacked.
- File archiving and compression utility developed by Thom Henderson and which was popular before zip became predominant in the nineties.
- Offers file compression utilities using the ARJ format for 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows.
Archive Comparison Test
- A set of benchmarks designed to show the state of the art in lossless data compression, by Jeff Gilchrist.
Automatic File Archiver by JSPayne
- Does automatic archiving and backup of recently modified.
- Lossless compression for photoquality images. Cross-platform. SDK. Free reader.
- Free zip file utility for opening or creating ZIP archives. Supports password protection.
CoffeeCup Zip Wizard
- Free Zip and Unzip utility including Zip Wizard that has built-in e-mail and FTP functions allowing files be compressed and sent in a single step.
- Free and simple to use Windows application that handles a variety of archive file formats, including .ace, .arc, .arj, .cab, .gz, .lha, .jar, .rar, .tar and of course .zip.
GZIPSite Website Compression
- Tool that can help you make static HTML websites run 50% faster and save 50-80% of the bandwidth.
- Designs, develops, and markets compression processors, encryption/compression processors, and software which provide alternatives for the implementation of high performance networks and tape storage devices. (Nasdaq: HIFN).
- Free, portable compression and extraction utilities for archives compressed in .zip format. Discussion forum, source code, and binaries for several platforms.
- Software house in Germany, with compression products for mainframe, midrange and mini systems.
- Aims to show the maximum achievable lossless data compression ratio for several filetypes (text, executable, bmp). The best 150+ programs for every filetype are shown in a table indicating compression ratio and switches/options used to achieve that compression.
- A command line port of the 7zip utility to Unix, Mac OS X and BeOS.
- PKZIP is the original security and compression utility for Windows desktop, server, IBM OS and Linux. Offers 30 day free trial period.
- Quantization, Compression, and Coding Library. C source code freely available.
- Specializing in data compression software technologies for wireless transmission, Internet acceleration, Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Notes E-mail acceleration, and PDA video conferencing, using cellular automata transforms.
RAR/WinRAR support site
- A support site for RAR and WinRAR archivers.
- Companion tool for WinRAR for preserving NTFS alternate streams.
Smacker Video Technology
- A compressor for video, animation and sound data includes video compression with twice the video quality and now uses the Bink audio codec for perceptually lossless 8 to 1 compression.
SolutionSoft Systems, Inc.
- E-Space, compression software for online archiving and disk space management.
- Creates and expands 25 different files including Stuffit, ZIP, SIT, RAR, MIME on Windows, Macintosh, and Unix.
USENET Compression FAQ
- This URL takes you to a compression FAQ that explains compression to technical people as well as describing the various programs, and what they do to users.
Video Compression Components
- Third-party video compression software components for programmers.
- Shareware utility. When compared to WinZip the most important advantage of WinAce is better compression.
Xceed Software Inc.
- Makers of Zip and Unzip data compression controls for Windows developers that use ActiveX, OCX, VBX and DLLs.
- COM objects to Zip and Unzip files.
- Compression for Lotus Notes, that automatically compresses attached files into ZIP files or self-extracting files. Features full integration with the Lotus Notes email client software.
- Zipsearch is shareware to search compressed zip archives for files inside archives. The program finds text strings within the files for viewing and changes.
- A compression tool under GPL. Zzip compression algorithm is mainly based on the Burrows-Wheeler Transform method developed by Mike Burrows and David Wheeler.
- Free LZW file compressor mainly used for creating tar.Z archives, released as source code. For UNIX systems.
- Open source utility for Unix, similar in functionality to gzip or bzip2, but able to take advantage of long distance redundancies in files, which can sometimes produce better compression.
- Delivers cross-platform data compression for data transfer, archiving, and retrieval.Part of the CoSORT family of sort and data manipulation solutions.
- A massively spiffy yet delicately unobtrusive compression library.
Usenet comp.compression -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:12:36 PM EST -