the entire directory
only in Malicious_Software/Viruses
Detection and Removal Tools
Computers: Security: Malicious Software: Reference
This category in other languages:
AskMen.com - How To: Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
- Article with basic advice on virus prevention, and a primer on computer virus terminology.
Burton Systems Software - Virus Avoidance Advice
- Advice for avoiding and recovering from computer virus infections, mostly for users of Microsoft Windows. Includes links to many free tools and other resources.
comp.virus Newsgroup FAQs
- FAQs from the comp.virus newsgroup
Computer Associates Virus Information Center
- Virus information from makers of eTrust Antivirus (formerly known as InoculateIT).
Computer Virus Myths
- The canonical reference for computer virus myths, hoaxes, and urban legends.
Doug Muth's Anti-Virus Help Page
- Independent site with FAQs, papers, and other antivirus resources.
EICAR test file
- Provides a standardized test file for signature based virus detection software. This file can be used to verify the correct operation of antivirus software without unnecessary exposure to viruses.
European Institute for Computer Anti-Virus Research (EICAR)
- Combines universities, industry, media, technical, security, and legal experts from civil and military government and law enforcement as well as privacy protection organizations whose objectives are to unite non-commercial efforts against writing and proliferation of malicious code like computer viruses or Trojan Horses, and against computer crime and fraud.
Examples of Malicious Computer Programs
- Long essay that describes harm done by major computer viruses or worms, and discusses the nonexistent or lenient punishment for the authors or distributors of these malicious programs.
F-Secure Virus Information Centre
- A searchable database of virus descriptions, from the provider of F-Secure range of anti-virus software.
Fire Antivirus Kit - Virus Information Library
- Provides detailed information on viruses
How Stuff Works: Computer Virus
- Multipart tutorial describes how computer viruses work.
McAfee Virus Information
- Virus alerts, mailing list, and searchable descriptions of common viruses.
- Project aimed at developing open source antivirus software comparable to current commercial offerings.
Panda Software Virus Laboratory
- Up to date and in-depth descriptions of the most common viruses by Panda Software, makers of Panda Antivirus Platinum.
Personal Home page - Ferrie, Peter
- Various research papers on computer viruses
Personal Home Page - Harrold, Robert
- Massive collection of antivirus links and news.
Secunia - Virus Information
- Collects virus information from multiple anti-virus vendors, and the collected information is grouped and indexed. When certain conditions are met virus alerts are generated and can be emailed.
Softpanorama University Skeptical Antivirus page
- A skeptical look at anti-virus protection.
Solo Antivirus - Virus encyclopedia
- Contains details about latest virus alerts and wide spread virus information.
Symantec AntiVirus Research Center
- Virus Encyclopedia site maintained by Symantec, makers of the popular Norton AntiVirus product.
- An organization for independent anti-virus researchers to facilitate communication, collaboration, and public education. Publishes and links to many papers written by independent researchers.
Trend Virus Encyclopedia
- Trend Micro issues regular advisories regarding new viruses, including a guide to avoiding them in the first place. Site covers risk factor of the newest viruses. lists top ten virus and offers a security alert archive.
Virus or Hoax?
- Created to provide basic information about viruses. Links to major anti-virus companies, public services, software downloads, and updates.
The WildList Organization International
- Organization which maintains a list of computer viruses which are still found "in the wild".
Windows Startup Tasks
- Massive listing of tasks that may be running on a Windows system at startup, including tasks which may be created by viruses, worms, spyware, and trojans
BusinessWeek Online - Mydoom's Most Damning Dynamic
- Points out that Mydoom was so damaging only because so many individual net users were so unprotected despite education efforts that apparently do not have any significant effect on user behavior. (January 28, 2004)
Usenet alt.comp.anti-virus -
Usenet alt.comp.virus -
Usenet comp.security.misc -
Usenet comp.virus -
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 14, 2014 at 11:05:04 UTC -