become an editor
the entire directory
only in Open_Source/Articles
This category in other languages:
In the Beginning was the Command Line
- A history of operating systems, by Neal Stephenson, the author of such novels as 'Snow Crash', 'The Diamond Age' and 'Zodiac'.
Collaborative Source Software
- This article presents an approach to combine the best of the Open Source and proprietary software development worlds.
Development, Ethical Trading and Free Software
- This paper makes the political and ethical case for the adoption of free software by Community Aid Abroad and other members of Oxfam International.
First Monday: Open Source Intelligence
- Scientific illustration and analysis of socio-technical approaches that make up a collaborative phenomenon termed Open Source Intelligence, which goes beyond the collaborative coding of software.
Free Source as Free Thought: Architecting Free Standards
- This paper calls for the support of open standards and non-proprietary software in civil activities, such as public education, taxes, and patent and grant proposals.
A Legal Issues Primer for Open Source and Free Software Projects
- The Software Freedom Law Center's introduction to the legal issues surrounding the use of FOSS.
Making it in a Post Windows World
- The process transitioning from a Windows to a Linux desktop computer, step by step setup instructions for a dialup account, and VNC.
Monochrom: Some Code To Die For
- On the Birth of the Free Software Movement in 1887. The author compares new code to the constructed language Esperanto.
Open Source Software and Documents - A Literature and Resource Review
- Brief introduction to the Open Source movement, provides a review of books, sites, and topics.
Open-Source Software Development, by Kim Johnson
- Explains the competing open source philosophies and development models, with examples of popular open source projects such as Linux, Apache, KDE and Python.
OpenSource.org: Open Source Definition
- A definition of the Open Source license for software.
A Response to Nikolai Bezroukov
- Eric Raymond's response to Bezroukov's "Open Source Software Development as a Special Type of Academic Research"
A Second Look at the Cathedral and Bazaar
- Another critical review of Eric Raymond's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar."
The Wall Street Performer Protocol
- This paper sketches out a proposal for the creation of a software completion bond market as a practical implementation of the Street Performer Protocol for the funding of open source software.
Why 'Free Software' is Better Than 'Open Source'
- An essay from the Free Software Foundation arguing that the term "free software" is a better choice than the term "open source".
Wikipedia - Open Source
- Long article with examples.
The Register: Open Source is Good for America - US Military Advised
- Andrew Orlowski discusses a report commissioned by the US military about open source and free software. (October 29, 2002)
OReilly - Working Without Copyleft
- Article argues against the necessity of the Free Software movement tenet of copyleft. (December 19, 2001)
How Open Source Development Could Change the Way We Get Things Done
- A feature story from the Washington Monthly. (March 01, 2000)
Forbes: Letting go of Lego
- "Hackers crack the code of a new chip and post the design secrets on the Web. The chip's maker, instead of suing, holds fire. What gives?" (August 09, 1999)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 2, 2014 at 12:05:09 UTC -