become an editor
the entire directory
only in News_and_Media/1999
News and Media
This category in other languages:
SearchEngineWatch.com: AOL Search Big Improvement For Members
- Danny Sullivan discusses the new features powering AOL Search and mentions its inclusion of matching categories from the Open Directory.
SearchEngineWatch.com: Lycos Transforms Into Directory
- Danny Sullivan covers the Lycos decision to abandon its crawler-based search engine for directory data. Discusses the large number of ODP volunteer editors and compares their editing power to that of Yahoo’s staff.
SearchEngineWatch.com: Netscape Integrates Directory
- Danny Sullivan writes about the launch of Netscape Open Directory and its relationship with the ODP.
SearchEngineWatch.com: The "New" AltaVista
- Danny Sullivan writes about the new changes at AltaVista and mentions they are using their own version of the Open Directory.
FastCompany.com: Linux Meets Yahoo!
- Dan Pink discusses the Open Directory Project’s unique way of organizing the web. (December 31, 1999)
CNN: Search Engines to fit any style
- Danny Sullivan discusses the various trends among search engines. Open Directory is referenced as the provider of the main search results for Lycos and Netscape Search. (October 21, 1999)
CNET News.com: On the Net, There is Such a Thing as Free Labor
- Jim Hu writes about the growing trend of companies using volunteer editors to build their directories. Netscape’s purchase of NewHoo, which was then renamed the Open Directory Project, is mentioned. (September 07, 1999)
San Jose BusinessJournal: Online Directories Beginning to Charge
- Article discusses Yahoo’s move to charge a fee for an express review service and the industry debate on the issue. (April 30, 1999)
NYTimes.com: Changes in Search Industry Create Strange Bedfellows
- Article discusses Netscape’s unconventional move of licensing its Open Directory data to Lycos for free. (April 28, 1999)
Wired: Lycos Embraces Open Web Index
- Chris Oakes writes about Lycos adopting the Open Directory Project into its search results and notes a similar move recently made by Bomis. (April 16, 1999)
Interview: Netscape's Dariusz Paczuski
- Webreference interview looks at the Open Directory Project’s become goal to become the most comprehensive web directory. Provides notes on the importance of volunteer editors and outlines key differences between Yahoo and ODP. (March 08, 1999)
CNET News.com: Mozilla Comes of Age
- Paul Festa writes about the success Mozilla achieved in its first year and the impact it made on the industry. Article mentions Netscape’s acquisition of NewHoo. (February 04, 1999)
CNET News.com: Netscape to Launch User-Driven Directory
- Jim Hu writes about the pending launch of the Netscape Open Directory and its hope in the volunteer editors’ ability to expand the content. (January 24, 1999)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 9, 2015 at 11:17:18 UTC -