become an editor
the entire directory
only in Content_Filtering/Advertising
Proxying and Filtering
Open Directory - Computers: Internet: Proxying and Filtering: Content Filtering: Advertising
Computers: Internet: Proxying and Filtering: Products and Tools
Computers: Security: Malicious Software: Spyware and Adware: Detection and Removal Tools
Computers: Software: Internet: Clients: Web: Browsers: Pop-up Blockers
Computers: Software: Internet: Servers: Mail: Spam Filtering
Computers: Software: Internet: Servers: Usenet: Filtering
Ad Blocker for IE
- Blocks all forms of advertising.
Ad Blocking via CSS
- How to use CSS rules to block ads. The technique works for any Gecko-based browser and for Apple's browser, Safari. It even works with the Thunderbird mail client.
- Freeware for Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000. Small proxy that blocks banner ads and some web bugs, also freezes animated gifs.
Ad Filtering programs
- A list of advert filtering applications.
- Shareware for Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP. Small, patch for common web browsers. Removes banners, buttons, popups.
- Ad stopper and pop up blocker with additional features. Commercial. Windows NT/2000/XP.
- Freeware and commercial versions for Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000. Runs in browsers java virtual machine and kills ads and cookies, slowish.
- Freeware for RedHat Linux 6.2/Unix/Windows 95/98/NT4. Open source rule-based filtering proxy written in Python to transform banner ads into transparent GIFs.
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
- Free for all platforms. A hosts file that blocks most major advertisers, parasites, hijackers and unwanted search engines.
Cut the Crap (CTC)
- Freeware for Unix/Linux. Proxy-like open-source daemon written in Python to filter out ads for dialup users.
Gorilla Design Studio Presents: The Hosts File
- Free for all platforms. A hosts file for blocking the hostnames of major advertisers.
gozer.org: Mozilla: Ad Blocking
- How to use Mozilla and Firefox to create custom CSS rules to hide certain elements based on their attributes and values.
- Free for non-commercial use, for Linux/Sparc/Solaris/Windows95/98/ME/NT/2000. Proxy that filters ads by pattern matching and blacklist. Also filters cookies and referers.
- Freely downloadable community managed hosts file for ad and malware site blocking.
- Commercial software for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000. Ad remover, automatically configures browser, and comes in five European languages.
- Freeware for Unix/Linux/FreeBSD/OS2/BeOS/Windows 95/98/ME/NT4. Web proxy that filters banner ads, cookies, and referer tracking. Supports wafers and User-Agent spoofing.
- Freeware for Unix/Linux. Web proxy written in Perl which rewrites HTML on the fly to remove ads.
- An extended site preferences and ad blocking plugin for Apple's Safari browser. The basic purpose of the plugin is to allow the user to control the blocking of ad images, Flash, Shockwave or midi loops.
- Freeware for any OS with JAVA. Proxy designed to speed surfing over slow links, by removing adverts and compressing the data stream using gzip and jpegs. Innovative approach.
- Freeware for Unix. Caching proxy which can block ads. You can also use squidGuard and SleezeBall to help do this.
- Freeware for Unix. Web advertising filter based on Cern's httpd web server.
- Freeware program for Windows 95/98/NT4. Open source program to remove Web ads. No longer under development by author.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 16, 2011 at 13:45:14 UTC -